Active Topics

I've noticed with any device, using EAS client to sync with Google Calendar/Contacts seems to fail often for no apparent reason. It is almost like they take it down for maintenance most evenings since the next morning I'm back syncing no problem. It's been on anything I use with Google - phone/tablet/puter. I've just assumed it has to be their typical "beta" label and no guarantees or SLAs. I've seen plenty of people complaining out there, but never see an intelligent answer (usually: Q: I've been syncing fine all day, but now a lot of fails, is it down? A: Is your password right? Try rebooting it. Flash/Format and reinstall.)

So, w/out doing further poking, I just saw this from folks that should know (scheduleworld):

"There is a limit to the number of times you can sync in one day with Google. When you reach this limit your Google syncs will fail until your sync count has been reset (Google seems to reset this daily)."

http://bit.ly/d1Qvn3

OK, I don't know if they are referring to EAS or another API, but does explain a lot (at least for me). I quit successfully syncing sometime every evening and it does magically start again before the next morning.

Just thought I'd pass along, I've seen a lot of folks around who have unexplained syncing failures that disappear/reappear often.

I'm going to reduce my frequency and see how it goes. I'm currently at every 30-mins during 0600-2000 peak time, manual non-peak. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm using one of my apps premium accounts or 'regular' gmail account, which does keep a little doubt since apps customers shouldn't have that type of limitation. I don't know, maybe someone else here does.

I am having trouble syncing google calendars as well. Can you elaborate your settings? Mine does *NOT* sync at all unless it is manual. I use the following settings: http://www.google.com/support/forum/...8dea5ed7&hl=en

Originally Posted by flydeep View Post
I am having trouble syncing google calendars as well. Can you elaborate your settings? Mine does *NOT* sync at all unless it is manual. I use the following settings: http://www.google.com/support/forum/...8dea5ed7&hl=en
Without looking through that link, I'll just tell you what I've been using since I received my N900 back in November. I have used it successfully for both app and standard gmail accounts.

The ONLY issue I've run into several times (since I was flashing fairly often) is no luck on an initial sync even with a manual sync. The way I'd clear that up was power down, battery out 15-mins (seems that fixes a lot of 'weird' issues that pop up w/the N900), power up and let it go. I've never had the problem with my exch07 corp account thought - who knows.

If you have everything setup right, I'd probably delete the account you have setup, delete the calendar you plan to map it to/all calendar entries and delete all contacts from the device, restart the N900 then setup. So maybe this step right before the previous paragraph.

Connection
Server: m.google.com
Port: 443
Secure connection: tick the box

Conflict resolution: Server takes priority

User name: name@gmail.com (or if you are an app user name@yourdomain.[tld]
Password: Your pw
Domain: leave this blank

Email: don't tick - gmail doesn't support email via EAS last I checked except (I think) on iPhone

Calendar: tick and choose the calendar you want (I always create one other than the default N900 to ensure no conflicts/initial sync problems)

Synchronise calendar back: 1-month (what I use, use what you want)

Synchronise completed tasks: don't tick (I haven't tried, but google doesn't sync tasks via EAS last I checked so haven't bothered trying)

Contacts: Tick if you want

First synchronisation: I always delete items on device - not sure on PR1.1, which improved some of the PIM issues w/field mapping, but not doing this created a mess with contacts on gmail when I tried pre-PR1.1.

Full resynch - if you just setup the account, it'll do this anyway.