Active Topics

Alright, I need someone to help me out as I'm starting to get a little confused.

The N900 supports "Google Talk" calls apparantly, at least it appears integrated. I can go to the dialing pad, pick call type, and select my Google Talk account to make a phone call. However when I do this, I get a yellow error bar saying "Incorrect address." and no call is made.

Now, I just recently received a "Google Voice" account. It was my belief that Google Talk was Google Voice, but I guess it is not? Am I unable to directly use Google Voice integrated in the N900? What does it take to get Google Talk to work then? Voice, Talk, so confusing!

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Google Talk is an Instant messageing client protocol. Like MSN ICq AIM YIM etc. It has video and voice suport in the protocol.

Google voice is a voip telephone service allowing you to make and recieve calls to other land line phones etc. Think skype out and in etc.

Last edited by HumanPenguin; 2010-02-02 at 15:22. Reason: s/ICG/ICQ

So how can I setup Google Voice on the N900 to make calls? Or is that not integrated in any way?

Why does my Google Talk say "Incorrect Address" when I select it and try to make a phone call?

(Thanks btw)

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
To add to HumanPenguin's good description...

GTalk supports voice chat but not with phone numbers which is why it failed.

I'd describe Google Voice as your own personal phone switchboard. It doesn't provide telephony directly but connects different phone types giving you control over who, how, and when calls come in.

Currently Google Voice integration is in Beta and is only available from the Development version of Extras (Scary, ahh, run). The plugin is called "The One Ring". The link in my signature will take you to the associated web page.

A direct link to the appropriate thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41817

Originally Posted by epage View Post
To add to HumanPenguin's good description...

GTalk supports voice chat but not with phone numbers which is why it failed.

I'd describe Google Voice as your own personal phone switchboard. It doesn't provide telephony directly but connects different phone types giving you control over who, how, and when calls come in.
Thanks to you as well.

So why does the N900 allow you to select Google Talk on the dialpad? It was leading me to believe I could call a phone using it. So is it mainly just for Text/IM/SMS type messages?

Oh but you can use Dialcentral which is a Google Voice app that does not provide integration. That is available in Extras and works quite well.

Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Thanks to you as well.

So why does the N900 allow you to select Google Talk on the dialpad? It was leading me to believe I could call a phone using it. So is it mainly just for Text/IM/SMS type messages?
Sadly I think any protocol that allows Voice support shows up in the dialpad, whether it can take a phone number or not.

This is something that could probably be filed as a bug, I'm just not sure what would be a good solution for Nokia/Collabora.

Google Talk is good for IM (SMS was disabled a while ago) and video/audio chat with contacts.

So "The One Ring" will integrate directly into the N900 just as Skype does?

Dialcentral is a standalone app that I would access via "More.." correct?

So "The One Ring" will integrate directly into the N900 just as Skype does?
Correct. When its thoroughly tested and some features are implemented to reduce confusion, you will find it in the "Application Manager" as "Google Voice plugin for Conversations and Calls"

Dialcentral is a standalone app that I would access via "More.." correct?
Correct. You can find it in the "Application Manager".

Please note, if you haven't used the GV website before, that
1. Click "dial" in Dialcentral of The One Ring, no call is actually made
2. Google calls your "callback" or "forwarding" number
3. Upon picking up they then connect you to the other party

GV is not a straight "you can and the call goes through" thing. One of the features I have slated to implement for The One Ring is one which auto-accepts the "callback" which might help simplify the process.