Active Topics

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Like the title says.
Alot of the apps in Ovi store are either non optified ,Wikisuvival ect, or have dual library dependancies. Then theres the MMS pictures for sale and music that cannot be played.
So many of these "Apps" would not even make it through the extras QA.
Surely someone should be moderating this store.
In some respects its worse for end users to download from there than from Extras-Dev.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
So many of these "Apps" would not even make it through the extras QA.

[...]

In some respects its worse for end users to download from there than from Extras-Dev.
I never thought of it that way but yes, you're right. I remember before the Ovi disaster started, I read between the lines here how some people felt they'd need to really improve quality in Extras so the community repository wouldn't be too far behind its big brother.

No that we look at the Ovi store... Let's invite people to go to Extras-devil instead.

(I'm not saying that the effort to improve the quality in Extras was unnecessary, of course. It's always good to go for quality.)

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Italy
Nokia hired a team of Oompa-Loompas from Wonka's factory and enrolled them in a three-day full-immersion course in software engineering, quality assurance and marketing.

I think course teachers should be blamed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fgs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
lol, the Maemo store here is the best !!

I think you should have a second repo for trial & paid for apps, Maemo beats the ovi "disaster" store hands down !!

Perhaps something to think about

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
I don't understand how it can be so hard to get the Ovi Store to work properly? I mean they have direct counterparts they could (SHOULD) copy to get a functioning store. After it works start making it more "Nokiaish".

I have never facepalmed so much as when following the progress of the whole Ovi platform.
I'm not sure which is getting less love from Nokia; the N900 or the Ovi services.

What I find fascinating that Ovi Store surpassed iTMS in Latin America and Asia...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
One thing to note, though - originally QA was not their job. There are various certification procedures (starting with symbian signed or it's Java equivalent, etc), however, there is no 'other' company to do certification (like there were with Java and Symbian), so now they have to scramble. It really is a new experience for them in that way (not an excuse, just saying this to grasp the bigger picture).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
I've complained so many times to Ovi and left so moany comments on Ovi blog.. you'd almost imagine that Ovi are not aware that there is a n900 or indeed that there are phones out there not powered by Symbian s60.

I vote all new n900s come with the Ovi shortcuts on desktop and browser removed, and instead have shortcuts to the downloads section of maemo.org

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I never thought of it that way but yes, you're right. I remember before the Ovi disaster started, I read between the lines here how some people felt they'd need to really improve quality in Extras so the community repository wouldn't be too far behind its big brother.
Well, the other half of it was that we wanted to get Extras shipped enabled by default. To do that we needed to make sure Extras would meet certain quality standards. It's ironic that these QA requirements don't apply to Ovi. Perhaps we should email them a link to the wiki page?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Hmm... Maybe I should start making apps for Ovi Store. They seem to be much less fuzzy about quality issues...

The Following User Says Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post: