Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
hey all!

I am hoping that someone can settle some questions I have starting with the attached photo of my n810 screen and the info that it is showing from the Advanced Power Settings.

You will see my current memory settings. I need to verify what I am looking at. Is the info showing (on the mounted drives for example) the amount of memory I have used or have left?

I am looking at ways to make my tablet more efficient especially for use with the latest version of Fennec.

As this is the case, is my swap memory sufficient or where it needs to be?

I just was finally able to install Ramzez and have seen a little faster overall performance.

I also changed the default cache in Fennec from 1MB to 2MB. Would increasing this to 8MB (as some are reporting having the optimum performance with) help or hurt based on that info.

Lastly, I installed emelFM2 to start to look through and remove any unnecessary left over files but:
a) don't understand how to properly use the app.

b) did not locate any of the suggested files by brontide in his Tuning the n810 thread.

I realize this is a lot in a single post but it mu overall goal in finally getting the NIT to my personal optimum best!

TIA to anyone who is willing to help me on this.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to coosbaytv For This Useful Post:
OK, 81 views and no responses...let's break this down question by question:

1) in the photo, can someone explain the stats listed (other than the obvious). Under Mounted drives, is the number to the left what is left of total memory or what is used? Make sense?

thx

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by coosbaytv View Post
OK, 81 views and no responses...let's break this down question by question:

1) in the photo, can someone explain the stats listed (other than the obvious). Under Mounted drives, is the number to the left what is left of total memory or what is used? Make sense?

thx
Does not make sense
Those numbers in mounted drives are [free space]/[total space]
That is not proper memory available to applications (the N810 has 128 MB RAM for that), but "hard drive" space, so to speak (properly, flash memory storage space for filesystems, where files are stored).

Last edited by maacruz; 2010-02-08 at 23:43. Reason: It is the other way around [free space]/[total space]

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
hey all!
I am looking at ways to make my tablet more efficient especially for use with the latest version of Fennec.
I have given up on fennec, it uses far too much memory and is too slow. I still have it installed, but just for marginal cases not handled well enought by microb.
As this is the case, is my swap memory sufficient or where it needs to be?
I recommend you 64 MB ramzswap + 64 MB swap file for general usage. For fennec I couldn't find any setup able to avoid it bogging down the system to a crawl when I access the all 1900 courses page in ocw.mit.edu.
I also changed the default cache in Fennec from 1MB to 2MB. Would increasing this to 8MB (as some are reporting having the optimum performance with) help or hurt based on that info.
Fennec eats so much RAM that I doubt it will make any difference.
Lastly, I installed emelFM2 to start to look through and remove any unnecessary left over files but:
a) don't understand how to properly use the app.

b) did not locate any of the suggested files by brontide in his
Be carefull what you play with.
User files are all reachable from the maemo file manager, anything out of there, if you don't know what you are doing (which seems the case to me), is a recipe for a disaster.
If you wish to learn more and play more with your N810 internals I'd suggest learning linux (put any linux distro in your main computer), learn how to use the command line, and clone the OS to the external mmc in your N810 and boot from there, that way you'll always be able to boot from flash again and fix it if something breaks.

ok, so in effect think of the internal immediate storage as 128 MB, not 256 MB. This makes more sense in why I am getting memory errors in Fennec for example. I have less than 70 MB of apps installed and couldn't figure out why the error. Next, I will try upping Fennec cache to 8 MB and see what happens there.

Next, what exactly is "SWAP" memory and what is it's function on the NIT? EDIT (WOOPS, I see you beat me to the question)!

...and thanks again to maacruz for working with me in getting Ramzez installed!

Next, what exactly is "SWAP" memory and what is it's function on the NIT? EDIT (WOOPS, I see you beat me to the question)!
There is nothing wrong with wanting to learn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swap_space
In short, it is a way of using "hard disk" (flash storage in the NIT) to temporarily move there the less used data from RAM, and use that RAM for more running programs data. Like a very slow extension memory to RAM memory.
Computer slang is highly technical, and takes time to learn.
[CAR ANALOGY]
It is just like your car.
You can just learn how to drive it (steer the wheel and push pedals), and be done with it. And after several thousand kilometers have it burnt because oil or water wasn't checked and changed, just like most people do with windows
You can learn how to drive it and do basic manteinance, so it will last a quite few years.
Or you can learn what a carburator does, etc. and be happy tunning your car. Obviously, there is always the danger of burning it by injecting NO2 the wrong way

Last edited by maacruz; 2010-02-08 at 19:58.

maacruz:

thanks again!

FYI, as I stated in another thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43773, I am not a Linux user at all!

But I am probably an advanced amateur in the PC world. I understand general computer slang outside of the Linux vernacular.

You also made me realize one of the issues I have with learning this platform (and yes I am an analogy user as well... ). The link you provided for Wikipedia is probably something that you guys refer to all the time. I never use Wikipedia and have only been there maybe three times believe it or not. I prefer google.

Anyway, I am in the beginning of learning this platform and am trying to learn to communicate with people that do not understand each others language. Not Linux per say, but many of you are coders or at least understand the process. I am a designer and that is a completely separate language. This is why I am not a Wikipedia user. From a design perspective it's like looking at a text book. I am a TV guy which is why I turned video producer. It is a different way of communicating.

So, keep the analogies coming...

I need to go and google some of these Linux tems to see what they actually mean now.

FYI, your referal to post #93 in the Tuning the n810 thread...waayyy over my head...had to let that one go for a while.

One thing at a time!

and just to be clear, thanks again for taking the time with me!