Hi, just got my Nokia N900 a week back, I noticed three things that I thought are fairly critical, that are missing, all related to the phone part of the N900.

1) In my E61 and the N97, one could while in a call, choose a contact from the contact list and send number as DTMF, this feature is particularly useful when using calling cards, which I do
2) From the call log of both the E61 and N97 you could choose an entry and edit the number before calling, helpful sometimes when roaming and the incoming number comes with an odd prefix because of odd carrier routing of the call
3) In Contacts, is there no field for Middle Name?

I have tried a fair bit of searching on this and other sites, oddly couldn't find anything on these, any one have any thoughts?

Also posted on Nokia Support Discussions.

that's what you get from a different os than your 2 phones stated above. the phones are created by the same manufacturer but works differently so it's like comparing apples from oranges...

although it's possible you can create an app or ask someone to create it for you. then you can customize your phone with those features you like...

This is not about a different os this is about a poor job done by
Nokia on 600€ device advertised as a phone but lacking all
standard features you can find in most phones, even cheaper ones
and even cheaper ones of the same manufacturer. IT IS A SHAME!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to farmatito For This Useful Post:
...not to mention the lack of voice dialling, MMS (albeit there is now fMMS), access to sim services (I think my nokia 5110 had that!), extremely poor signal reception, etc ,etc.

I think Nokia has done a shockingly bad job at the 'phone' part, but a fantastic job of the 'internet tablet' part of the device.

As a previous Internet tablet owner and a previous nseries symbian phone owner, I was hoping the N900 would be a better convergence device. But its not. I now use my N82 and N900 as I once used my N82 and N810 in combo.

Any ideas about conference calling, two aspects to it, one is the network ability which is a given and second is the phones capability, any tried that and can confirm that it is possible or not?

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
This kind of complaints on phone features pop up once a few days and seems never end.

I would say you bought the wrong "phone", return it when you can and before you regret for spending the money, unless you can settle with what it has right now.

I'm happy with mine because I did research the phones features before I bought it and I expected it is a tablet with phone features, after arguing with some people here why there was no MMS support a few months back.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdull For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by mcdull View Post
This kind of complaints on phone features pop up once a few days and seems never end.

I would say you bought the wrong "phone", return it when you can and before you regret for spending the money, unless you can settle with what it has right now.

I'm happy with mine because I did research the phones features before I bought it and I expected it is a tablet with phone features, after arguing with some people here why there was no MMS support a few months back.
I am sorry but defending a lack of features is the worst kind of fanboyism. The simple fact is that Nokia are happy to charge a significant amount of money to sell you an underdeveloped product. I am not one of those who are suckered in by marketing suggesting this is meant to be a hackerbox or some next level device. It is a phone.
I saw a huge billboard advertising the N900 and its multitasking in the Underground station, there was no mention that this product was missing many features a loyal Nokia user would come to expect from a Nokia phone, nor did they suggest this product should not be considered a phone.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Another "it doesn't make coffee" thread... Can we have a single complaints about device thread and just merge all these into one?
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
Another "it doesn't make coffee" thread... Can we have a single complaints about device thread and just merge all these into one?
Just ONE thread for all the missing features??

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
Or milkshakes . . . . WHAT ABOUT MILKSHAKES!?!?!?!?

The Following User Says Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post:

Tags
mo better features please