Hi

Anyone knows how to uninstall / remove ovi map from my N900? I find out ovi map does'nt really do anything as gps navigation software compare to other gps software out there.

Currently the only useful thing that i can use with this ovi map is to located me. ....Who cares!!! I know where is my location.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
dpkg -l | grep map
will give you the packages that most probably are related to nokia maps
browse the list carefully (some other package could have 'map' in its name and shouldn't be zapped)
then apt-get purge package-names (as root).

If you can live with having the packages still installed and you only want to get rid of the icon, you can rename the nokia-maps.desktop file in /usr/share/applications/hildon to another name, like nokia-maps.desktop.deactivated.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
When I try to uninstall ovi maps using .....
Code:
apt-get remove nokia-maps-core
I get the following....
Code:
The following packages will be REMOVED:

mp-fremantle-generic-pr
nokia-maps-core
nokia-maps-maplets
nokia-maps-ui
Is it possible to remove the nokia maps packages without the mp-fremantle-generic-pr package being removed/offered to be removed?

I only want to remove the nokia-maps-* packages.

The Following User Says Thank You to fixfox For This Useful Post:
Well, I'm from Europe* and I went to South Africa last month (for World Cup). I tried GPS navigation of my N900 and was extremely happy with it. For two weeks, I relied solely on OVI navigation and I haven't missed one single turn! (I’ve made almost 3.000km.) I was impressed by how it was able to find directions to every single place, even to one of my guest houses in some little town very far from any major city.
* maybe there are some differences to US version

There was just one single small mistake (London Rd in Cape Town is marked one-way in the opposite direction).

IMHO, GPS navigation is one of best things of N900 (and it's a great phone)!

P.S.: But it wasn’t able to find my location while traveling with airplane, 30.000ft above Africa. Anybody knows why?

Originally Posted by Kefo View Post
P.S.: But it wasn’t able to find my location while traveling with airplane, 30.000ft above Africa. Anybody knows why?
could be becouse of the speed, if you haven't got a fix on satelite before take off i doubt it will get it while moving over 800 km/h, and also for the airplane screening

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I've seen dedicated gps systems pick up on satelites and get locks when in planes. It is possible that the N900 just isn't as capable GPS-wise, what with being filled with a bunch of other hardware.

@Fixfox: I think mp-fremantle-generic-pr IS part of the Ovi Maps application. It just isn't as clearly titled. I'm by no means an expert, but just letting you know, I think it's safe to remove it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
@Fixfox: I think mp-fremantle-generic-pr IS part of the Ovi Maps application. It just isn't as clearly titled. I'm by no means an expert, but just letting you know, I think it's safe to remove it.
Could'nt wait long enough for a response and impatiently proceeded to purge maps (which included mp-fremantle-generic-pr) .

Was a clean uninstall...and freed up about 5mb of root space. No adverse effects whatsoever.
All other GPS applications work just as before.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fixfox For This Useful Post:
You can just use dpkg to remove a single package. Apt is a package manager so will remove the whole group including deps.

Probably a way to lock a package also, so will never be removed. Just google around.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Well, I'm from Europe* and I went to South Africa last month (for World Cup). I tried GPS navigation of my N900 and was extremely happy with it. For two weeks, I relied solely on OVI navigation and I haven't missed one single turn! (I’ve made almost 3.000km.) I was impressed by how it was able to find directions to every single place, even to one of my guest houses in some little town very far from any major city.
Did you already get your data roaming bill?
Or did it work in offline mode for you?

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
There was just one single small mistake (London Rd in Cape Town is marked one-way in the opposite direction).
I could imagine situations where this single small mistake would lead to some serious trouble