I need some help with running java applicatons on the n900. Knowing that the n900 doesnt support java, I search the forum about running java on the n900 and a lot of information popped up. When it comes to programming, I am a newbie so if anything please go easy on me. My problem is that, I am about to graduate from college with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineer and I am developing a Bluetooth car alarm as my capstone project. The car alarm will be controlled by the n900 and it will be programmed in java. I search the forum and found that java can be used with the n900 using easy debian? I am not the one programming the application, but someone whose on my team will be developing the application. We will be using my phone (the n900 which kicks *** ) to controll the car alarm. So someone said I can use easy debian on my phone to program java?

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Uh...
If you have to use java, then why choose the N900 for this?
If you have to use the N900, then why choose java?

Originally Posted by toshinden5 View Post
I need some help with running java applicatons on the n900. Knowing that the n900 doesnt support java, I search the forum about running java on the n900 and a lot of information popped up. When it comes to programming, I am a newbie so if anything please go easy on me. My problem is that, I am about to graduate from college with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineer and I am developing a Bluetooth car alarm as my capstone project. The car alarm will be controlled by the n900 and it will be programmed in java. I search the forum and found that java can be used with the n900 using easy debian? I am not the one programming the application, but someone whose on my team will be developing the application. We will be using my phone (the n900 which kicks *** ) to controll the car alarm. So someone said I can use easy debian on my phone to program java?
Well you can use easy debian to RUN the java code once you have it. Or failing that there is in fact a java version for ARM available from SUN. Its on a 90 day timer - but SUN have said it can be easily reset with their blessing.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by hqh View Post
Uh...
If you have to use java, then why choose the N900 for this?
If you have to use the N900, then why choose java?
Im not developing the program, one of the member in my group is and java is very easy for him to program with.

At first I didn't know we would be using java to program.

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Well you can use easy debian to RUN the java code once you have it. Or failing that there is in fact a java version for ARM available from SUN. Its on a 90 day timer - but SUN have said it can be easily reset with their blessing.
In this case should I use easy debian to run my project program or SUN version for ARM? The application is pretty simple. The n900 will connect to the car alarm using bluetooth and then control the car from there with several commands or GUI commands such as 1 for unlock, 2 for shut down car.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
As others have said, would make a lot more sense to use something like Python as its more readily available for the N900.

Also are you sure the developer is using full blown Java or Java Mobile? The N900 only runs full Java not the mobile version. I ask as most people see the N900 as a phone so would assume it runs the mobile version of Java.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Can you point us to a download link? Do I need to compile it or just install? Is it a full JDK or just JRE?

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germnay
Looks like this one :

Embedded Java

Did not test, no need for java atm.

The Following User Says Thank You to OptX For This Useful Post:
I think that this http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._Java_on_Maemo
could help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to acano For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by acano View Post
I think that this http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._Java_on_Maemo
could help you.
Looks like Jalimo only supports Maemo 4, not 5.

The Following User Says Thank You to tigerswood For This Useful Post: