Active Topics

I've searched the forum for posts about the use of Dummy IAP, but what I haven't been able to found is much about _why_ such a thing should be necessary, and there doesn't seem to be a bugzilla report about it either. So, here goes:
- Why should Dummy IAP be necessary? Why won't the browser and
everything use whatever available network? (That is,
everything 'ifconfig' shows). On a Linux PC it does not matter if it's
ethernet, wi-fi, bluetooth or indeed anything else, network is
network. Even on the Palm PDA it doesn't matter, the browsers,
other network apps, and even the java-based opera mini will use
either.
- Anyone looked into writing a bugzill entry?
Any received enlightenment would be appreciated..

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Basically, the browser uses the Maemo connection daemon process, for better or worse it doesn't look at the underlying interface state, it tracks it itself.

If you manipulate the network manually, it doesn't know about it so a "Dummy" IAP is used to convince the connection API that it's connected to the Internet. Even though it didn't need to do anything.

HTH,

Andrew

I suppose it's there for UI reasons. If the API doesn't report it's connected then the application should request a connection. If the API reports it's in the process of connecting the application should just wait, something like this.

The problem that I see is that the API doesn't check anything beyond it's known connections, when it would be really easy for it to:
a: Check if there exists a default route
b: Check if that default route has connectivity (ping maybe?)

This process takes time, though, and it was probably decided that just assuming the API is the only thing making connections and thus all knowing is faster and provides a better user experience. It probably does, too, except for those of us that would like to use alternative connections.

Please note that this is all just speculation on my part, but it's how I've assumed Nokia justified this arrangement.

Now if only the DUMMY iap worked in the N800!

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
Basically, the browser uses the Maemo connection daemon process, for better or worse it doesn't look at the underlying interface state, it tracks it itself.
(bold emphasis by TA-t3)

As any long-time programmer knows, these kind of shortcuts tend to turn back and hit you in the face...

TA-t3

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Without a Dummy IAP, I wouldn't be able to tether to my phone since it only supports the PAN bluetooth profile.

And the N800 doesn't support this? Man, that means I'm not upgrading anytime soon.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by azule View Post
Now if only the DUMMY iap worked in the N800!
maddler's got something Dummy IAP-like working on his N800: http://www.maemopeople.org/index.php...sing_dummy_iap

HTH,

Andrew

After the explanations, having to use a Dummy IAP still seems like a hack workaround. Shouldn't we simply file a bug on that Maemo connection daemon?

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Yes, but I doubt they'd call it a bug. Its a feature that Nokia hasn't planned on implementing yet, if ever.

Originally Posted by phi View Post
Yes, but I doubt they'd call it a bug. Its a feature that Nokia hasn't planned on implementing yet, if ever.
The joy of Nokia using OSS is that if it's wanted badly enough, it will be there whether they want it or not.

This one was actually a major priority for me until I found Maddler's solution. Now it's slid down my list a little as it's no longer immediately necessary.