Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
This is an idea I am thinking about in teh near future.

The N900 has been promised Ovi Maps navigation in the short term future.

But the tiny display on these devices would make it hard to use in a car.

I am considering getting an old aspire one netbook or similar and tearing it apart.

Setting it up as a simple screen that can VNC or xhost? into the N900 and use its 8inch display to give a clearer image while driving.

It should be easy to put together a simple OS that auto detects the device via bluetooth whenever you enter the car and connects to it.

Anyone have other suggestions of how this could be done.

Is there anyway we could add a simple touch screen or set up the track point to control the N900.

Anying know of cheaper devices we could use to do the same thing.

Heck if we could come up with a touchscreen device. We could fabricate ti to plug the N900 in the back and up/downgrade the whole thing to a Ipad rip off.

Last edited by HumanPenguin; 2010-02-18 at 16:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HumanPenguin For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 109 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by HumanPenguin View Post
This is an idea I am thinking about in teh near future.

The N900 has been promised Ovi Maps navigation in the short term future.

But the tiny display on these devices would make it hard to use in a car.

I am considering getting an old aspire one netbook or similar and tearing it apart.

Setting it up as a simple screen that can VNC or xhost? into the N900 and use its 8inch display to give a clearer image while driving.

It should be easy to put together a simple OS that auto detects the device via bluetooth whenever you enter the car and connects to it.

Anyone have other suggestions of how this could be done.

Is there anyway we could add a simple touch screen or set up the track point to control the N900.

Heck if we could come up with a touchscreen device. We could fabricate ti to plug the N900 in the back and up/downgrade the whole thing to a Ipad rip off.
I had google maps with GPS that worked flawlessly on my E71. What is the similar replacement on N900?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
The simplest option would be to use the TV out capability of the N900. Not sure how cheap you can get an LCD TV with composite input though.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by HumanPenguin View Post

The Following User Says Thank You to ZootHornRollo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
yyess. i did it on my laptop.

using a lenovo S10 notebook i got from work. i put a 50 bucka touch screen from ebay on it (vverry cool) and using joiku i linked the laptop to the phone and VNCed in. it worked but was a little laggie. any idea's on how to improve??? is there a way to do it through the TV out and track my fingers on the S10????????

was thinking about this for a while. maemo looks cool on a 10inch screen i even converted the notebook to a tablet, removing the keyboard and everything and making it one piece. going to use it as my cars head unit. all CUSTOM baby wwooo

Last edited by felbutss; 2010-02-18 at 17:18.

if u guys have any ideas i can test it and upload a video. OOOOO how exciting!!! cant wait for the ideas, this could be big??? lol maybe

Last edited by felbutss; 2010-02-18 at 17:16.

I don't think the screen is that small tbh. There are sat navs with smaller screens!

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
My wife's N97 has the same screen size as the n900 and it works well.

Something like this is quite cheap http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-7-Inch-Car-L...item51909723c0 and would connect to the composite output. Hasn't got great resolution though. The 800x480 ones are a bit more expensive eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lilliput-7-HDM...item3a570c8ae9. Obviously you would need to use the n900's touchscreen still. Alternatively, if you're considering using a netbook anyway why not just use a bluetooth gps reciever and a windows/linux gps application?

Last edited by patstew; 2010-02-18 at 17:31.

this idea can go further then just the OVI maps idea. think about the multimedia. would be the best car head unit ever

Last edited by felbutss; 2010-02-18 at 17:58.