Active Topics

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
I ran into this problem where the video player refuses to play any kind of video.

When i open media player and click on a thumbnailed video, it goes to a black screen, and then nothing, if i then click on the screen, the normal video controls layout pops up, it even tells the length of the video and such, but it dosent start. It dosent even show the 4 loading dots it normally does when you click on a video..

If i try to run a video through filemanager, nothing happens when i click an avi file, it dosent even start up the media player..

Whats going on ??

I've been playing around with Mplayer and KMplayer, but i doubt this could corrupt the built in media player...

Anythoughts?

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
I've tried the diffrent solutions from this post, but no diffrence, still the same problem.

So far, i can only play videos on mplayer.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Iterestingly I suffer from a quite similar problem. Uuhm... actually I suffer from the exact same problem. I just now wanted to make sure it does play some videos as it still did a couple days ago, but it doesnt. Even the included 9.mp4 and Nokia_N900.mp4 dont play anymore as I just found out.

Some more information:
Got my N900 beginning of Feb with the latest 2009 firmware. Everything was ok and my test DivX was playing well. I then upgraded to PR1.1.1 and played around with testing and devel and broke my phone, on purpose actually, to find out what I can and what I shouldnt install I then reflashed my phone, flashed both images (FS and OS) and now my DivX nor anything else which played fine wants to work anymore.

Stuff installed:
Battery-eye, BatteryGraph, Cinaest, Conky, Coutdown Timer, Fuelpad, JoikuSpot, qTranslate, stopwatch and what I suppose it could be: MediaBox. Although I thought its a player only and doesnt interfere with the system at all.

Anyone got any ideas? The files dont play either with mediabox btw. They load, duration is shown but playback doest start, progressbar stays inactive, on both players. DivX/XviD/AVI as well as AVC/h.264/MP4.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
just because you didnt say anything about it: did you reboot?

Well my device is in its current state since about two weeks, and I reboot about every other day So yes, I did reboot since the install. Made another discovery though, after the reboot this morning, my DivX testfile played again. I tried one which then didnt work, and after that nothing worked at all.
So breaks down like this: the N900 plays all files its able to play, once you stumble across a misscoded or otherwise unreadable/unplayable file the mediaplayer stalls and I supppose you'd have to kill the daemon or reboot the device to get things sorted again. Does this show up in bugzilla? I'm about to exceed my free data limit so if one of you guys is bored ATM one could dig around in bugzilla until I get home late tonight and do it myself...

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New Delhi, India
hi..i have the same problem..whenever i play an unsupported format (in this case .mov) i have to reboot to get all the other formats working again...for some reason although .mkv format does not play on the media player, it does not hang the media player and am able to play other files after playing it...

This is why I asked. I noticed the same with unsupported file formats: Once you open something the Media Player can't play, it dies and you have to re-boot.

Maybe there's a service in the background or something that you could simply reset, don't know. Any ideas?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
the n900 should reset media demons after an error.

it seems it doesn't properly reset anything. Doesn't matter though. benny1967's bug has been marked as a duplicate of another bug which has been marked fixed on Feb 23rd. So it should be fixed in the next FW release.