Notices

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
As the topic says, is there anyway to set a higher priority on the music player so it doesn't stutters while doing other stuff on my N900? I don't mind if an app takes 1 second longer to launch, as long as the music still plays.

----------------
Now playing: Tool - Forty Six & 2

I believe changing the nice level is what you want to do.

http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_nice.htm

Try `renice` on a running PID.

Originally Posted by ear0wax View Post
I believe changing the nice level is what you want to do. [/url]
Dude, nice!

badum psh

The music player is /usr/bin/pulseaudio, right? If so, it doesn't seem to work. It lagged a little bit still. Also the command line options already include --high-priority.

EDIT: Ran 'renice -10 <pulseaudio PID>' but it still lagged sometimes..
EDIT#2: Also ran 'renice -20 <pulseaudio PID>' (the highest priority) but it still lagged.

Last edited by ToJa92; 2010-02-27 at 13:27.

Pulseaudio is the sound daemon

/usr/bin/mediaplayer is the media player

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the decoding is probably happening in hardware, so what could be happening is that the storage media is not able to feed the hardware fast enough. are there any other read or write activity happening when it stutters?

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by tso View Post
the decoding is probably happening in hardware, so what could be happening is that the storage media is not able to feed the hardware fast enough. are there any other read or write activity happening when it stutters?
Stuttering usually happens when rendering webpages or doing something a bit more resource demanding.

I read that nexus one and droid also suffer from this.

Last edited by bbin; 2010-02-27 at 15:15.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
Yes, I guess Firefox uses it's fair share of the memory. Maybe I should disable the disc cache?

Originally Posted by bbin View Post
Stuttering usually happens when rendering webpages or doing something a bit more resource demanding.

I read that nexus one and droid also suffer from this.
We have a DSP chip, From what i under stand it handles sound processing and network traffic so downloads could cause it. The cpu would be what accually does the rendering.

If you want to see if its the storage bandwith topping out, you could always stick your music on the sd card and test that theroy. I keep all my music on the sd, and i only get shuttering when I get notifaction spamed.

Last edited by ear0wax; 2010-02-28 at 10:55.