Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
I will be buying an N900 in a couple of weeks. It happens that I do not live in the USA but will be travelling there soon, so, I will have it shipped to my hotel.

It turns out that there are known "problems" (improvement opportunities, others call it) with the N900; as I have read in the forum: the fragile USB issue, dead pixels, ...

What would be your checklist of things to, well, check or test, on a new N900 and make sure everything is all OK or, take the drastic decision of shipping it back ?

This should be an interesting exercise and, hopefully will help new buyers of N900, specially "remote" buyers as me.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Out of curiosity, how long will you be staying there?

If you're on a business trip, it may be better to ask a favor from your host/associate to receive the item before your arrival and probably go thru the QA check list.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by febb View Post
I will be buying an N900 in a couple of weeks. It happens that I do not live in the USA but will be travelling there soon, so, I will have it shipped to my hotel.

It turns out that there are known "problems" (improvement opportunities, others call it) with the N900; as I have read in the forum: the fragile USB issue, dead pixels, ...

What would be your checklist of things to, well, check or test, on a new N900 and make sure everything is all OK or, take the drastic decision of shipping it back ?

This should be an interesting exercise and, hopefully will help new buyers of N900, specially "remote" buyers as me.

Thanks in advance.

My healthcheck application may be out of development by then (Currently in extras devel) - will help test some/most of the hardware - still adding bits though.

Lionk is in my signature - latest version list is in the last post in the thread
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

About 2 weeks....but not all the time at the same place....
will travel around Northern California up to Nevada and back to SFO for a day, then flight back. But, I will return to the same hotel on the last day of my trip.

To be honest, I'd rather check it myself... I can shipt it back if there is something wrong and ask for a refund. That is my worst case scenario. (which I know, for a fact, that works with Amazon, btw)

Thanks,

Last edited by febb; 2010-03-02 at 18:18.

noobmonkey:

That sounds really cool. Could you post here a link to (eventually, at least) download you app and test it on the -soon to have- N900. ?

Or...is it commercial ? (anyway...I'd try it)....

Thanks

noobmonkey:

That sounds really cool. Could you post here a link to (eventually, at least) download you app and test it on the -soon to have- N900. ?

Or...is it commercial ? (anyway...I'd try it)....

Thanks

Hehe it's free

the repositories are put into 3 sections
Extras / Maemo.org + Repository
Extras - Testing - Repository
Extras - Devel - Repository

The bottom two can be risky to enter, as the apps have not been fully developed.
Mine is in development, works for me fine, but still adding code. So i will promote it for testing in the next week. If after all that and it's not buggy, a minimum of 10 days applies before it gets into extras

Search the wiki for repositories when you get your n900 - it will show you how to add them to your device, but beware - apps can damage your device if not properly tested.
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

noobmonkey:

Thanks for your reply.

As for repos being risky (some of them), well, yes... I think its the same story as with the good old N810 I currently have...isn't it ?

noobmonkey:

Thanks for your reply.

As for repos being risky (some of them), well, yes... I think its the same story as with the good old N810 I currently have...isn't it ?

yup exactly the same
(Well the links in the app manager i think are different)
But the idea and execution is the same

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
i am also interested in some sort of noob checklist. . .

there is quite a few posts on this aldreay tho, just search for checklist