Notices

Does anyone know how if it is possible to use the mouse&keyboard sharing software Synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/) with Maemo5? And if so, how to install it...
Cheers

not even out yet

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
There is no port of Synergy, but it should be possible for someone to convert it over.

There is VNC though - not exactly the same but would do the job.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Which way would you want synergy to work and why? Sharing another kb/mouse with n900 makes little sense, as does vice versa?

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by the_accidental View Post
Which way would you want synergy to work and why? Sharing another kb/mouse with n900 makes little sense, as does vice versa?
Have you tried coding python on n900 - painful!

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West London, UK
I realise this is taking things a bit off-topic, but:

If you fancy a bit of Eclipse-based Python editing for Maemo 5, then you could do a lot worse than trying out the Pluthon project at

http://pluthon.garage.maemo.org/2nd_edition/

When fully set up, at the click of a Run button you can shovel all of your Python project onto the N900 and have it run it for you automatically.

It requires a fair bit of setting up to get to that point, though.

Last edited by shiny; 2010-03-05 at 11:12. Reason: Acknowledge it's off-topic

i also want synergy on n900!

for me, this device is not only a cell phone, and for my common use, synergy makes a lot of sense

I am currently in the process of writing a program that allows you to use the N900 as a keyboard and mouse over the network (not bluetooth). For coding on the device I tend to mount the N900 using fusemount under Linux. As for running things on the device over the network I tend to use ssh and VNC. Although I use Synergy quite often I cant really see the benefit of using it with the N900. If you do please enlighten me.

Just a quick though does X forwarding work on the N900 over ssh?

Is there a VNC-server available for the n900? I thought there was only a client. VNC would be a good alternative to Synergy.

use x2x, works fine, does not need anything installed on the n900, is more lightweight. But only if you work between Xservers, no windows. Another thing is that you want to re-enable the cursor on the n900. Post a howto when you found out how