Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
I've been tinkering with my first Qt app targeting the N900 for quite some time. Although I'm making progress, it is slow. Here is my experience:

1: Start development on Windows
When I started, the N900 was not yet released, so I started on Windows and Qt Creator. Not as easy as a VB app, but I survived the experience.

2: Emulation
Next I learned there was a development environment (scratchbox) and emulator (Xephir) on Ubuntu. As I had a dual boot system with Ubuntu I started working on it. After sweating for some time, I was happy to see my app running! I thought I was almost done!

3: Packaging
That's until I tried creating a Debian package. After some futile attempts, I gave up, only to discover MADDE. Here I managed to get my package and I had my app finally running on my newly acquired device! Game over? Not yet...

4: Garage
To make the app available to others, I have to put it on a repository. Easy? I mean, the app is running on Windows, emulator, N900 and I have a .deb file, so that should be it, no? No. Now I am struggling to upload it and get it compiled on the Garage environment, and of course it's a pain. Currently struggling to make sense out of the file that 'rules' them all in the debian folder, reading threads and inspecting other people's open source projects.

I'm sure I will get there, eventually. I will have learned a lot but with more frustration and less joy than I was hoping for. I really look forward to an integrated Qt Creator, MADDE, Garage experience! One click deployment anyone?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to magnuslu For This Useful Post: