Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, this is a post specifically for the community contributors that have joined us thanks to the N900 and Maemo 5.

You probably know there is a Maemo community council that is in a period of re-election right now. And if you don't know just keep reading because this is actually important.

Being a Nokia guy I would find rude or weird to propose specific names of potential council candidates but I thought it would be useful to stress the importance specifically of the next elected Maemo Community Council.

The council is seen by Nokia and the people pushing the MeeGo project as a very interesting asset and characteristic of the Maemo community. It can't be translated directly to the MeeGo context but everybody agrees that having an elected body canalizing an agenda complementing the strategy and work of the MeeGo technical infrastructure would be useful and worth trying.

The existance of a MeeGo community council and all the details and weight of such team will heavily depend on the strength and maturity of the next council. That stength and maturity begins with a good representation of candidates and a wide participation. If we don't reach these initial levels then it will be much difficult to define strong and mature next steps towards MeeGo.

So please, if you are thinking of running for election or nominating someone please go ahead. If you think someone is doing a great service to the community just go tell him/her. Do not hesitate doing this in this Community forum, visibly. Individual shyness can be really expensive in community terms these days.

Background:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...ection_Q1_2010

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I probably won't be running for the elections, being "just" a theme guy, but I'm surely going to vote for whoever I feel to be fit for the position!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
I probably won't be running for the elections, being "just" a theme guy, but I'm surely going to vote for whoever I feel to be fit for the position!
But who would you nominate. Think. Just one name. Or two.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
i vote for Maggie Thatcher - closest next best thing at maemo.org... hmmmmmmm
Where is Tex when you need him

Intruiged, but hard to know who to vote for if people aren't stepping forward
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
But who would you nominate. Think. Just one name. Or two.
Would have Andrew F. Black, but he already stepped in to the nominations on maemo-community.

No other people on top of my head right now.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
How about it noobmonkey? I think you got your N900 about the same time as me and seem to contribute a fair amount on the forums. Are you up for it?
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
How about it noobmonkey? I think you got your N900 about the same time as me and seem to contribute a fair amount on the forums. Are you up for it?
Awwww cardiff that is very nice of you I do feel at home here, but i'm not sure i'd be the right person to be on the council.

As much as i am definitely all for fighting good causes, changing direction - i feel I'm more of a follower at the moment.

I do plan on being round for the long term, as the N900 has given me the buzz to learn linux and even programming again - so maybe the next elections....

I'm sure there are more experienced candidates then me about

Saying that, once the right rev finishes her mastery degree'ness i'm definitely up for sorting out that wiki
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Thanks for taking the time to post this Quim! It means a lot.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Glad to see movement at Maemo Community Council elections: Nominations open! - including announcements from contributors that arrived with the Fremantle winds.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
I got poked about this by someone who will remain anonymous :P, and had a think, but I won't be standing this time around. I don't feel that I have the time to do this justice, and I'd appreciate more time to feel out how exactly I'm going to fit into the community as things with MeeGo and my new job working with Qt at Collabora progresses.

Best of luck to the candidates!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post: