Thought that it might interest you in some way:

So unlucky... yesterday my n900 got accidentally knocked down from my desk, that was a 69cm fall. The LCD got shattered and a drop-like leakage appeared. Well, the "screen protector" did not help at all ;]

Here are the images of the web-like shatter on the screen and drop-like leakage (black spot, visible on white display):

I have noticed the leakage spread a bit with time... Should I replace the LCD screen asap before the leakage makes the screen unusable at all? The phone functions normally, touch screen is intact (works normally), only the screen itself got broke and the metal part of the case got bend a bit.

The n900 keyboard was open when it hit the carpet floor, so that may have actually increased the damage taken from the impact, which resulted in the broken display.

How expensive is a new LCD screen for n900 with the service fee? I would rather take it to Nokia Care point than try to fix it myself... But I have no idea on how much time it would actually take to fix it.
Any tips?

Cheers,
Ralph

Last edited by RafaLL92; 2010-03-16 at 21:07.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by RafaLL92 View Post
Thought that it might interest you in some way:

So unlucky... yesterday my n900 got accidentally knocked down from my desk, that was a 69cm fall. The LCD got shattered and a drop-like leakage appeared. Well, the "screen protector" did not help at all ;]

Here are the images of the web-like shatter on the screen and drop-like leakage (black spot, visible on white display):

I have noticed the leakage to spread a bit over time... Should I replace the LCD screen asap? The phone functions normally, touch screen is intact, only the screen itself got broke and the metal part of the case got bend a bit.

The n900 keyboard was open when it hit the carpet floor, so that may have actually increased the damage taken from the impact, which resulted in the broken display.

How expensive is a new LCD screen for n900 with the service fee? I would rather take it to Nokia Care point than try to fix it myself... But I have no idea on how much time it would actually take to fix it.
Any tips?

Cheers,
Ralph
Oh man! If it was me I would change the LCD asap.. but since here in the USA the Nokia Care points sucks I would do it myself.. But if there's a good Nokia Care point near you I would definately take it to them to fix it.. and I am guessing it would cost around 100$ USD at least? not sure..

I also would like to say that this is the most painful pictures I've ever seen! Stay strong man.. stay strong..

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
At least you can uninstall Braek now... Sorry!

Yep that is true pain, hope it gets well soon.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
I feel your pain main, looking at the pictures makes me hurt inside
I don't know where you live but I would definitely take it to a Nokia store and see what they could do there..

I live in the Netherlands and we don't have any Nokia Care points at all, sure hope this doesn't happen to me..

As bandora said, say strong man.. stay strong

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Suffolk, UK
Man, Sorry to see those pictures. I know its a different phone but my brother done the same to his N97. The Nokia Care centre in the UK charged £40 to replace the screen and took them 2 hours.

Fingers crossed for you.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West London, UK
That looks quite upsetting - hope you can get it fixed soon. I'd be interested to know the price of getting it done, especially in the UK.

I partly am interested as mine got yanked off my desk by an idiot at work today, which is of an equivalent height, perhaps a bit higher. It landed screen-down, but thankfully sustained no lasting damage.

Mitigating factors could be that the floor is carpeted and the keyboard wasn't open. It was attached to some headphones that were being yanked off my head at the same time.

I'm mentioning this mainly to reassure other readers (and potential buyers) that dropping the phone won't necessarily do it any harm. As an aside, I have a friend that smashed their iPhone by dropping it off a bedside table onto a carpet, which wasn't very far at all.

I've dropped this N900 (accidentally!) off a few things now and it seems quite durable.

I've had my N900 knocked around my Jeep quite a bit. Has sustained a few hard hits, but it's really all about how it lands.

Unfortunate happenings here

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Apox View Post

I live in the Netherlands and we don't have any Nokia Care points at all, sure hope this doesn't happen to me..
Uhm.. dude.. I don't know what you're saying... but we DO HAVE Nokia care points here in the Netherlands!!!!!!!

that stinks.

Mine fell off the mantel this morning, from 5' (150 cms ?) onto ceramic tile. The alarm vibration pushed it off I guess.

I heard the noise and came in to see the bits everywhere. Just the battery, stylus and back cover. Phone doesn't have a scratch.

I'd like to hear what it costs to fix and if you do it yourself.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Uhm.. dude.. I don't know what you're saying... but we DO HAVE Nokia care points here in the Netherlands!!!!!!!

Sorry, confused it with actual nokia stores
We got care points, but no actual nokia shops.. just some "approved" retailers =)