Active Topics

in my situation, i'm hoping to re-encode video files from my digital camera, as the n800 doesn't play back the original avi files produced. i don't expect it to encode a 30 min plus file at a decent speed. the files i need encoded are short clips, at most 2 to 3 minutes in length. this would allow me to review these clips on my tablet when away from my PC.

i found instructions for mencoder here http://wiki.maemo.org/Manual_video_encoding

would these instructions work for using mencoder on the n8x0 itself to encode files?

if i could accomplish this in a bash script as is (i have mplayer installed on my n800), could someone write a basic one for me? i only need to encode a motionjpeg avi to an avi in xvid or divx, "target quantizer" of 4.01, or should i be saying 75percent or so quality? i do my editing in virtualdub but don't know the correct terms, sorry....with a forced keyrame every 20 frames, the resolution changed to match 4:3 ratio, then resized to 640x480 - oh, and i don't need audio.

thanks!!

if someone was eventually inspired to write/port a front end for mencoder for nokia tablets that has similar functionality to virtualdub, that would be awesome.

another idea would be a method of re-encoding a file on the fly, or at least pre-buffered to a certain point, into a format that the n8x0 can better playback in mplayer, which i'm sure would eat battery life more, but would be a great work-around for playing files that aren't optimized for the n8x0