Active Topics

Anyone know of a fix for laggy music while using Sygic or web browsing? does there need to be a startupscript running the renice command? and what are the proper process ids?

thanks.

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
There should be a few fixes for some of the memory issues Media Player has in the next FW update. Hopefully this will minimize the stuttering to an acceptable level.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I suspect part of the stuttering is because disk IO on the eMMC causes the media player to run out of data when playing music, if other tasks are also doing disk intensive jobs. On flash memory a lot of small writes like the web browser cache clogs up the system easier than a larger, faster, single file read/write operation does, so both the app manager and web browser are notorious (in my testing) for causing stuttering as they do exactly those sort of operations. Also the very tasks which do a lot of small writes are also likely to use a lot of RAM so potentially also trigger SWAP memory usage, which means yet more writing to the eMMC, I really wish Nokia had kept the SWAP partition on its own flash chip but I guess that would have been really expensive.

So what can we do about it? Try moving your music to a microSD card as that would eliminate eMMC lag as a potential problem as far as possible. I haven't tested myself if it helps as it only seems to lag badly when using app manager, the web browser its just the odd glitch here and there, I can put up with that.

If that doesn't help I have had similar problems on desktop Linux too which clearly were not disk IO related, so it could still be that the something is stealing too much CPU from the sound system when it should be really higher in priority than most everything else to keep sound ticking over smoothly. Hopefully the PR1.2 firmware will have more optimisations to minimise the problem.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2010-03-24 at 01:50.

Maybe take a quick look here.