Posts: 113 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Venezuela
ok, so i need a little help out .... I had to use my N900 to print some docs on my college's cyber today, and i plugged in "mass storage" mode..... I print the files .DocX ones .... and then when i come home and connect my N900 to my laptop, i notice all of my .doc files had changed extensions to .EXE, AVG antivirus detects trojans and ask me to remove the files to the vault, deleting my info and everything :s ... the same thing happened again, this time affecting all my SD card folders, including photos and sounds : s and apperantly maps too : x ... i know that this viruses won't cause any damage to the phone's OS but what can i do to stop losing info everytime i try to connect my cell to print something (will need to do it quite a lot)

The problem lies in the computers ur plugging the N900 in. They have to be cleaned up, badly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
Ok, actually it is affecting in the phone, since the extensions have changed to .EXE now there are some folders i can't open from the phone, like .documents one, if i try to open it with file manager it asks me to select a program to open it like an unsupported movie or something D:

Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
The problem lies in the computers ur plugging the N900 in. They have to be cleaned up, badly.
i know, but :/ those are the only ones there and if i want to print something quickly that's my only choice :/

O_O seriuously...I hate anti virus scanners for mobiles as they are always resource consuming....You cant really do anything thing for now unless some one makes a maemo 5 sd card antivirus scanner...which is highly unlikely...Just stay away from shady/public computers when it comes to transferring files to the phone...

D:[/QUOTE]

it's not really linux that got the virus, it's your fat partition of the phone that got changed by a virus when you plugged it into your computer.

Just offload your pictures and documents(to a safe computer), use file manager on the phone to format your storage, and reload your pics/movies/docs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Konceptz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Technically Linux doesn't have enermies and Linux by far the 2nd if not the first secure OS in the world.

.exe can't do anything to LINUX so do not you worry about such thing.

i always tought i was inmune : [ ... i guess there's not much i can do, i'm formatting the hdd, i can't really save much of the info, since i think they're all infect it, i'll just have to get a clean start.... i'm just worried about the applications... if i format therefore, erase all the info on the N900 from file manager, am i erasing something my apps need? ... i'm concern with scummVM and numptyphysics and such, since i've seen data folders created by those apps on my documents?

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
lol. I had to read this thread cause I knew it had something to do with windows before i opened it.

Putting a windows virus in linux works just as well as talking louder and slower to someone that does not speak your language. It doesn't do anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to weirdbeard For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rikisky View Post
what can i do to stop losing info everytime i try to connect my cell to print something (will need to do it quite a lot)
If you are going to transfer files to untrusted (or worse, known-infected) computers it's best to avoid USB mass storage mode altogether. Perhaps transfer the files via bluetooth or email?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: