Active Topics

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Hello

and greetings from a new forum member

A while ago I started to think something like this..

Big companies might wish to manage devices of employees ... N900 is a computer so it could be managed as a computer... open source is at heart of Maemo so we might wish to try an open source configuration management solution, one of these

So I went and tried. For candidate I chose Bcfg2, mostly because Python is the language I'm most familiar with. I also liked the Bcfg2 approach not to mandate how you should think/work.

After "expected amount of banging head to the wall" it succeeded. Now Bcfg2 client runs at N900 and obeys what server tolds it to do.

I created a wiki page about the subject. So, if you are interested about experiencing with Bcfg2 in Maemo, but not that interested on banging your head into the same wall, point your browser into http://wiki.maemo.org/Device_Management_using_Bcfg2

esa

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gaphill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Ontario, Canada
Great stuff!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by gaphill View Post
Hello

and greetings from a new forum member

A while ago I started to think something like this..

Big companies might wish to manage devices of employees ... N900 is a computer so it could be managed as a computer... open source is at heart of Maemo so we might wish to try an open source configuration management solution, one of these

So I went and tried. For candidate I chose Bcfg2, mostly because Python is the language I'm most familiar with. I also liked the Bcfg2 approach not to mandate how you should think/work.

After "expected amount of banging head to the wall" it succeeded. Now Bcfg2 client runs at N900 and obeys what server tolds it to do.

I created a wiki page about the subject. So, if you are interested about experiencing with Bcfg2 in Maemo, but not that interested on banging your head into the same wall, point your browser into http://wiki.maemo.org/Device_Management_using_Bcfg2

esa
Hello, and welcome to a new member of our community. I look forward to seeing more from you on this subject.

SLN member # 009