Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
I have installed version 1.0-3 on my N800. When I use a USB mini female to USB female adaptor and plug in a USB memory flash drive, I get a "Module insertion has failed" error. Just to clarify, In "Control Panel" I select "USB Networking" under "Extras" plug in the memory drive, then select "Setup USB networking".

Name:  screenshot03.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  24.9 KB

may be I'm missing something but why would you be looking at USB networking if you are plugging in a flash drive?
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

The Following User Says Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
may be I'm missing something but why would you be looking at USB networking if you are plugging in a flash drive?
I was thinking that I had installed the wrong app, so I next tryed to install "USB Control" from maemo downloads for OS2008 but I get a "incompatable application package" error. Do you have a link to the .deb file?

I found an older version of USB Control here:

http://konttoristhoughts.blogspot.co...max-results=12

After installing the .deb, I did a manual update to get the latest version. It was installed into my :Extras" but when I select it, nothing happens.

However, it does run in Terminal, but still does not "see" my flash drive. Now what?

Last edited by Den in USA; 2010-03-25 at 15:56.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ oregon woods
I could be wrong, as I have never used the n800 only the n810, but I don't think you have to install any software and you shouldn't have to mess with USB networking unless your using a usb networking card.

only thing you might have to do, if your miniUSB to USB A female does not automatically support OTG, is enable usb host mode
to do this:

open xterm

enter:

sudo gainroot
echo host> /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode

now try connecting your usb flash drive.
it will say device not recognized and then work anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to cedar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cedar View Post
I could be wrong, as I have never used the n800 only the n810, but I don't think you have to install any software and you shouldn't have to mess with USB networking unless your using a usb networking card.

only thing you might have to do, if your miniUSB to USB A female does not automatically support OTG, is enable usb host mode
to do this:

open xterm

enter:

sudo gainroot
echo host> /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode

now try connecting your usb flash drive.
it will say device not recognized and then work anyway.
xterm displays "permission denied". and I cannot "see" my flash drive.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
My N810 reports device not supported whenever I connect something almost any USB device as Host but they always work anyway. If a file system is present, File Manager starts. /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode is set to "a_host" and removing the cable it changes to "b_idle". Note I use a cable that switches to Host automatically.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
My N810 reports device not supported whenever I connect something almost any USB device as Host but they always work anyway. If a file system is present, File Manager starts. /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode is set to "a_host" and removing the cable it changes to "b_idle". Note I use a cable that switches to Host automatically.
Thanks, George, I went ahead and ordered me an "OTA" adaptor that will switch to "Host" automatically.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ oregon woods
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
xterm displays "permission denied". and I cannot "see" my flash drive.
oh yeah you have to login as root
to do this install the rootsh app:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/rootsh

then do:
sudo gainroot

hope that works for ya, while you wait for your OTG cable

The Following User Says Thank You to cedar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
Thanks, George, I went ahead and ordered me an "OTA" adaptor that will switch to "Host" automatically.
Yes, this is the most convenient way. Another option is the advanced-power-monitor. This applet has a menu that allows you to turn the USB host mode on and off.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fontus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fontus View Post
Yes, this is the most convenient way. Another option is the advanced-power-monitor. This applet has a menu that allows you to turn the USB host mode on and off.
I installed advanced-power-monitor. I thought it would appear in my applet menu under “home”. Where is it ???????