Active Topics

Poll: On my N900...
Poll Options
On my N900...

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
The question here is really - does the N900 benefit from having a resistive touch screen?

Do you find yourself always trying to hit even the smallest of buttons on the web browser with your finger even though you know it probably wont work unless you zoom in?

Do you automatically get the stylus out before touching the phone?

Are you really in the middle, you wouldn't really use the stylus but is is just easier to browse the web with it?

Ultimately are you happy with the touch screen or would you prefer a capacitive touch screen on future generations of nokia phones? Like they have adopted in the new X6.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
i like the res screen, i never need to zoom in to hit the smallest things on the websites and i never need the stylus. My finger are as accurate as robin hood! But sometimes i use the stylus for fun and i feel nerdier which is a plus!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Personally, I think it's because it's a transition device... not having the full implementation of touch-friendly UI/UX elements and it has to deal with some legacy ported apps moreso than the next devices that Nokia has planned for this market.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i never use the stylus for web browser, i hardly ever have to zoom in to press links either.
i dont care about resistive v capacitive i'm happy with either thres many more important features i require before i even think of the screen kind when i'm selecting devices

I love the touch screen with or without the stylus, of course sometimes I have to zoom in but its so easy to zoom in and out so there's no problem. I prefer this touch screen instead of the iphone screen I often find myself trying to use my finger nail on the iphone then realizing the n900 touch screen is so much better

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
no offence but i dislike your poll options theres not a "dont care been debated too many times" or "i like both kinds"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
I use the stylus in general quite rarely but would hate not having one when I need it (I use it quite often when browsing certain sites to open links in new windows [for some reason this is hard when using finger to long-click]).

Also it's good for quick sketching.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
I prefer the resistive touch-screen and I am glad that Nokia didn't jump on the capacitive train with the N900. It's great to have the choice between pure finger touch and use of a stylus for more complex things.

The Following User Says Thank You to Taigatrommel For This Useful Post:
On my N800, I used the on-screen keyboard (no choice really) and mostly got away with using my fingertip or fingernail and didn't really need the stylus. This is the small keyboard I'm talking about. IIRC, the keys are about 4mm squares.

I like the precision of the resistive screen. I don't want to be restricted to running apps written for people who mash the screen with stumpy fat fingers I like to run remote X apps occasionally, and often resort to using a stylus then. I don't think I'd be able to do that with a capacitive screen.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

its not like the n900 will ever have it, but sure. Then again, I touch my n900 and winmo phones with resistive screens now. I prefer the glass over plastic screen just because its a lot more durable,