Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Just read this on twitter

"Discussed the next Maemo phone with a guy who had held one. Apparently will have a qwerty keyboard as #N900, device about half as thick."

Let the speculation begin

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I doubt that, but its sounds great. but a bigger screen is a must.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Well, if it's true, then I'm just glad it still has a keyboard. If I want to buy an iPhone, I go to Apple, not Nokia.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
No, that's not an N900 in my pocket... I'm just happy to hear this rumor.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I would rather have one the current thickness but with more battery power taking the extra space up.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mobile
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I would rather have one the current thickness but with more battery power taking the extra space up.
Yes, agreed.

Also, if Nokia was really clever they would learn one thing from apple and that is by keeping all models as physically similar as possible it really helps the third party accessory makers. Go into a phone shop and it is full of iPhone accessories - in large part due to the fact every accessory is compatible with every iPhone so the market is not fragmented.

So i really hope they do all they can within the same case before they make changes. Those changes can be their enemy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Yes, agreed.

Also, if Nokia was really clever they would learn one thing from apple and that is by keeping all models as physically similar as possible it really helps the third party accessory makers. Go into a phone shop and it is full of iPhone accessories - in large part due to the fact every accessory is compatible with every iPhone so the market is not fragmented.

So i really hope they do all they can within the same case before they make changes. Those changes can be their enemy.
i agree, but first they need to make it accessory friendly. current design doesn't allow for any sensible docking station.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Maybe I am the only one, but the thickness and weight are things I actually like about the N900. I always preferred "heavier" phones (loyal Communicator user here) over those slimfactor devices.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Taigatrommel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 126 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Lebanon
Originally Posted by Taigatrommel View Post
Maybe I am the only one, but the thickness and weight are things I actually like about the N900. I always preferred "heavier" phones (loyal Communicator user here) over those slimfactor devices.
absolutly rit!!! i prefer a big and thick nokia(especially N900) rather than a thin iphone.i cant handle small and thin phones

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I don't really mind the weight either. Somehow now phones that are below a certain weight just don't feel like devices to be taken seriously. I don't know what it is!

This rumour sounds interesting, though. Better start saving up money, just in case it proves to be accurate. I don't think that the next Maemo device will be a floozie and weigh too little.