I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this but I added a few mp3 audio books to a 4GB internal transcend SD card. There's about 175MB in 61 files.

All of a sudden the CPU spiked to 97% for the metalayer-crawl process. (Now that was a pain trying to get a terminal and tapping 'top' ...)

Description: Metalayer Crawler Daemon Crawler is a program that is always running on the background. The purpose of the program is to collect information about the comings and goings of media files in the system. The metadata of media files is automatically extracted using libmetalayer for other applications to use.
If I take the card out, everything is fine. When I put the card back in the media library is refreshed and spikes to high CPU usage.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else has seen this behavior. I can't imagine this would be normal. I ended up removing the files so I could use the tablet.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Most likely bug #978.

Thanks for the link, that's probably the case.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Most likely bug #978.
thanks from me too

i too created the symlink to browse through root and stumbled upon the bug. is there a way to have my cake and eat it?

You can install canoe and remove the link.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
After installing rtcomm and microb-browser, metalayer-crawler started getting a 90%+ of cycles. I had to deactivate it. Anybody saw same behaviour?

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
How can I just disable metalayer-crawler entirely? Its behavior is absolutely unacceptable.

Agreed, I also would just like to be able to toggle it off.. then WHEN I need to update a newly installed card.. click/choose an item to THEN update the contents of that card.

The whole lagg and wait due to the N800 "indexing" all the contents continually is annoying.

/salute.

What is really needed is a version with a gui that allows one to specify directories to be scanned and which has an option to either manually initiate a rescan or to do a periodic rescan kicked off by a cron job or something. As it is, it is consistently one of the most resource hogging applications on my device and I don't even want to use it's functionality.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
1) it was due to my mmc which was corrupted;
2) however to deactivated the little beast I only did
mv /usr/bin/metalayer-crawler /usr/bin/metalayer-crawler.deactivated
after gaining root.