Active Topics

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Netherlands
Request:
since N900 has stereo recording functionality wouldn't it be cool if plugging an external microphone could trigger the recorder to make recordings from that?

I have a 3,5 mm TRS plugged stereo mic (which can be powered). So to do its work that would have to be in connection to the 3,5 mm output.

Problem 1:
  • N900's 3,5 mm output is TRRS so this is not compatible with a TRS mic plugging in

difference between TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) and TRRS (tip, ring, ring, sleeve)

Solution 1: adaptor. Searching on the web I did find this: [ Droid Adapter 3.5mm 4 conductor TRRS Male to 3.5mm TRS Headphone Jack ]

Problem 2 (what it boils down to):
  • how will the N900 be instructed to turn off the internal mic and record from the external mic?
    I guess in response to plugging the forementioned adaptor the N900 would do nothing until after proper firmware changes were made. Right?

Unluckily, there ends my understanding. Obviously the N900 recs from mic if you plug in the standard earphones, but would it be possible to record stereo mic as well?

Has anyone been succesful recording from a stereo mic?
If so, would that be using a TRS mic, a usb mic... (or whatever does the trick?)

Last edited by 7thd; 2010-04-06 at 22:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7thd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I believe it is possible if you have a stereo Mic which use the same plug layout as the N900 plug.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Agreed that would be the optimal layout. That seems to be a perfect fit (hey but aren't all those TRS?). Wonder if the mic would have to be powered, too.

Too bad for my mic tho, I'm not going to try soldering it to TRRS. Those wires are too thin and I'd be ruining its integrity I guess.

Last edited by 7thd; 2010-03-28 at 20:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to 7thd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
wouldn't it be possible to use the video cable and only use the red and the white connectors with an adaptor?
or maybe then the n900 just "thinks" in video out and not in audio in...

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
(...) or maybe then the n900 just "thinks" in video out and not in audio in...
Recaller records stereo, but doesn't get anything from a cd-player playing through the white+red connectors of the video cable

The Following User Says Thank You to 7thd For This Useful Post:
I'd be really keen to find some way for my n900 to record from a stereo external mike.

The Following User Says Thank You to mungo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Not sure about 3.5mm mics, but USB mics should be possible once host mode is (fully) working.

The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
ive semi-successfully used mic into TRRS on an N97, but it was flaky as it depended on what profile symbian would give you (headset, etc)

The Following User Says Thank You to jerryfreak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
I would love to be able to connect n900 to a source of sound (a mixer or other device) and record stereo audio. The big problem I see is to tell the sound card to use one of the output channels as input like the mic one, so you would be able to record in stereo...

The Following User Says Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:
Sorry for resurrecting old thread, but I think it's better than starting new one, about same topic.

As notorious bootleg recorder, I'm very interested in possibility to connect high-quality stereo microphone to N900, and using it for recording purposes - as standalone audio, or together with video (729p, thanks to freemangordon).

As I understand it, there is absolutely not a chance to write software/kernel patch/whatever, that would "tell" device, to treat all audio out left/right (or video) as audio in left/right (fixme, if I'm wrong). So, only one option is to use USB microphone. Do we have any modules for that purpose in kernel already, or are there useful ones available for Debian, so Pali can add them without much hassle? How about compatibility?

I have 0 experience with USB microphones, up to date - left alone USB mic on linux - so Ithanks in advance for verbose info.

/Estel)
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: