Notices

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Firstly, please excuse me if this is a grossly ignorant question!

Why is it so dangerous to use the devel and testing repositories? We've all seen the 'brick' warnings - but I just can't make any sense of it.

On my desktop computer I install all manner of beta software on a regular basis. I've never had a fear of "bricking" my PC. Why is the NIT (N900 in my case) any different from a desktop PC in this respect?

I understand that if you're installing apps that control various hardware functions this can get dodgy... But the connection between testing games and "bricking" is totally lost on me.

Any light shone in this area would be appreciated.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Well i mostly know about not optified apps that cant take up your rootfs very quickly if you install some of them, and some other apps may leave tasks open that will drain battery faster. Thats what I know but i am pretty sure there are more serious effects from the extras-devel apps...

The Following User Says Thank You to apol657 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Brasov/Cluj, Romania
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Firstly, please excuse me if this is a grossly ignorant question!

Why is it so dangerous to use the devel and testing repositories? We've all seen the 'brick' warnings - but I just can't make any sense of it.

On my desktop computer I install all manner of beta software on a regular basis. I've never had a fear of "bricking" my PC. Why is the NIT (N900 in my case) any different from a desktop PC in this respect?

I understand that if you're installing apps that control various hardware functions this can get dodgy... But the connection between testing games and "bricking" is totally lost on me.

Any light shone in this area would be appreciated.
For example someone could upload an application to extras-devel that sends lots of sms or makes random international calls without any notification.

There's also the possibility that devel software may not be trustworthy when it comes to dependencies. Compatibility problems can take a device down.

In fact, it is not so dangerous. I have extras-devel enabled, I run apt-get update and dist-upgrade frequently, and this did not cause any problem.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Originally Posted by andrei1089 View Post
For example someone could upload an application to extras-devel that sends lots of sms or makes random international calls without any notification.
Of course, this is also true for extras, OVI store, etc.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

may be few stuffs can mess up other applications.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Bricking means, that you can't start your N900 anymore.
For example because of endless reboot loops.
So if there is a program which loads a service at the startup, having a bug so that this service at startup causes a reboot -> brick.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Of course, this is also true for extras, OVI store, etc.
No, because apps in extras have been tested before. They have to go through a quality testing process.
And such programs never would be approved.
But to devel everyone can upload, without testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
In fact, it is not so dangerous. I have extras-devel enabled, I run apt-get update and dist-upgrade frequently, and this did not cause any problem.
Hey could you tell my what does the dist-update command does?
________
Vapor Genie Vaporizer

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 12:40.

Tags
dangerous, devel, testing