Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, United Kingdom
OK so I've had my N900 over a week now and I'm loving it, but I think I have it set up wrong because there seems to be a critical failing regarding the email.

If I get a new email, it will appear on the screen when I click the top left button, and the notification light will flash blue. All good. But if I read the email elsewhere (using Thunderbird on my computer) the notification stays there even if a send/receive has been done in the meantime.

Also, once the notification has been seen, the unread emails are no longer flagged up. Is there some app or setting that allows a notification up near the clock with an "unread email" count? Is there any way of two way syncing when the email runs a send/receive (every 5 minutes)?

This seems like obvious stuff so I'm sure there is a solution somewhere...

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
I know the feeling about the total lack of notification of new messages. It's unbelievable Nokia could get something so simple so wrong... Maybe we ought to start a brainstorm on the subjet but to be honest, I have yet to see anything concrete come out of these...

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by cazzajay View Post
If I get a new email, it will appear on the screen when I click the top left button, and the notification light will flash blue. All good. But if I read the email elsewhere (using Thunderbird on my computer) the notification stays there even if a send/receive has been done in the meantime.
So you are basically suggesting that N900 modest should close those notification messages when it checks (after interval from settings) for new mail again and finds that messages is read(or inverse = not anymore unread), but notification window is open.

Also, once the notification has been seen, the unread emails are no longer flagged up. Is there some app or setting that allows a notification up near the clock with an "unread email" count? Is there any way of two way syncing when the email runs a send/receive (every 5 minutes)?
What do you mean by notification has been seen and message should be flagged up? Itīs still unread.

.edit
Letīs be specific:
What do you mean by notification?w
- Blue light
- Popup window
- Inside application

Last edited by slender; 2010-03-31 at 21:30.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Yes, this annoys me too. If I'm sitting at my desktop PC, my desktop PC and my phone both notify that I have new messages. If I read them on the PC, the phone won't stop blinking its blue light. If I read the messages on my phone instead, the PC will stop notifying me.

Also, once the notification has been seen, the unread emails are no longer flagged up. Is there some app or setting that allows a notification up near the clock with an "unread email" count?
You might want to look at Call Notify on http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48501

Last edited by pelago; 2010-03-31 at 21:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Note that some *other* notification issues are addressed in the upcoming PR 1.2.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_5/PR1.2#Email

Originally Posted by slender View Post
So you are basically suggesting that N900 modest should close those notification messages when it checks (after interval from settings) for new mail again and finds that messages is read(or inverse = not anymore unread), but notification window is open.
I am suggesting that at the send/receive intervals, there should be a check not only for new messages but that if the currently notified messages have been read elsewhere, and flagged as read, that the notifications should disappear

Originally Posted by slender View Post
What do you mean by notification has been seen and message should be flagged up? Itīs still unread.

.edit
Letīs be specific:
What do you mean by notification?w
- Blue light
- Popup window
- Inside application
If I have 3 unread messages in my inbox, and i get the standard 3 new emails notification (what i called a "popup window"), what i am saying is that this should in theory disappear if the three messages are read by another client and no longer marked as unread on the server.

As it stands, if the notification "popup window" is closed, but the messages are not read, they "disappear" from the phone until one enters the email application and checks.

Example - I get an email, get the notification "popup", close the notification popup without reading the email (just looking at who its from and deciding not to read it now) and am not reminded ever again that that message is still unread, until i delve into the email application.

(Blue light = Blue flashing notification LED on front of N900.)

Essentially, the send/receive only checks for new email and not read/unread status, is what I am saying. Which from my perspective seems to be a bit of a short-sighted way of getting notifications, in these days of IMAP and IDLE.

I am suggesting that at the send/receive intervals, there should be a check not only for new messages but that if the currently notified messages have been read elsewhere, and flagged as read, that the notifications should disappear
Yes - same with SMS etc. Applications that own notifications should be responsible for removing those notifications when they have served their purpose.

The Following User Says Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
Yes - same with SMS etc. Applications that own notifications should be responsible for removing those notifications when they have served their purpose.
exactly!

and it would be helpful - if any notifications are still applicable, but have been closed - that they would be "minimised" to the notification area near the clock as a little "count"

if you have handled an iphone, you'll know the usefulness of the red "unread email" count next to the mail app icon - even when the mail app isn't running in the foreground.

i know the N900 doesn't support push but even at polling intervals, surely having a count on display wouldnt be impossible...

im not a developer but maybe someone could think of an add on that could serve this purpose?

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
You might want to look at Call Notify on http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48501
Thanks pelago, but it seems this doesn't do emails - just SMS and missed calls?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I use Nokia Messaging (which DOES support PUSH), and I hate that deleted messages don't sync with the server, so I have to delete twice. I'm, too, disappointed in N900 email progress. I get alerts for old emails I've deleted weeks ago.