Nokia N900
Maemo 5
Version: 3.2010.02-8.002

I am trying to download and install applications over WiFi but it doesn't seem to be working.
I can connect to my WiFi network without any issue and view any website l choose, however, when l go to download and install a Maemo application nothing happens. I can view the full download list on the N900 and select any application to install but once it runs its check it just says "Downloading <file size>" and that's it. It doesn't make a difference how big or small the file is nothing happens.
I have found that if l do this using 3G then everything works perfectly. My only issue is l don't want to be downloading 7mb files over 3G as it will cost me a small fortune.
I have used the Nokia Software Update program to update my N900 to the latest version and have also reinstalled it using the Nokia suite as well. Any help to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Do u hv a seperate modem + seperate wi fi router setup at ur place???

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by lukehumble View Post
Nokia N900
Maemo 5
Version: 3.2010.02-8.002

I am trying to download and install applications over WiFi but it doesn't seem to be working.
I can connect to my WiFi network without any issue and view any website l choose, however, when l go to download and install a Maemo application nothing happens. I can view the full download list on the N900 and select any application to install but once it runs its check it just says "Downloading <file size>" and that's it. It doesn't make a difference how big or small the file is nothing happens.
I have found that if l do this using 3G then everything works perfectly. My only issue is l don't want to be downloading 7mb files over 3G as it will cost me a small fortune.
I have used the Nokia Software Update program to update my N900 to the latest version and have also reinstalled it using the Nokia suite as well. Any help to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.
1. Have you tried this with some other WIFI? and not just your own?
2. Have you tried "reflashing" your n900?
3. I am not really sure if there is a possibility to run tcpdump on the N900, but that can solve lots of question regarding your problem.

Edit :

1. Download tcpdump latest Fremantle deb armel file from here.
Copy it to your N900 (usb, winscp, filezilla, mass storage, somehow), or just download directly from your N900.
2. Open xterminal, get to you file, or use ssh and run :
"dpkg -i tcpdump_4.0.0-1_armel.deb"
3. Now you have tcpdump installed.
4. Connect your wifi now, and via ssh or xterminal navigate to /home/user/MyDocs
5. run "tcpdump -i wlan0 -w cap.pcap"
6. Minimize the xtermianl and run you application manager, try to install something. Give it sometime, once it fails or you decide it's enough time ( 1 or 2 minutes should do ) close the app manager, and stop the tcpdump using "control + c" on your hardware keyboard or via ssh.
7. Now you have a file name cap.pcap, get it, and attach it here.

If you get stuck on any step, don't hesitate to post.

PS. If you are feeling adventures and want to inspect the cap.pcap file your self, install wireshark on your pc, windows/mac/linux all have it.
cap.pcap is a file containing all network traffic that went through you wlan0 interface during the time tcpdump was open, and thus, the time you tried to install apps from app manager.
It contains information about, when & what was delivered,
Wireshark analyses that information and displays it in a very comfy way to understand what's going on in there. There is a lot of information so it can be overwhelming.
IMHO, wireshark is one of the best applications that exist.

Last edited by eitama; 2010-04-01 at 08:39. Reason: Added link to download tcpdump.

any proxy settings.. ?

go to wifi settings in n900 and see any proxy listed there,,

I have edited my post, read it again, follow the steps.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=590978&postcount=3

Thanks for the quick reply, very very much appreciated.
I must admit that l have not tried it on another wireless network which l think is the first port of call. Reflashing has not been successful as l have Vista 64bit and have had issues getting the flasher to see the N900 via USB. I have located someone with XP so will try on that OS.
Regarding the TCP Dump, l'll try the two above first before proceeding with this.

Thanks once again for your help!

Originally Posted by lukehumble View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, very very much appreciated.
I must admit that l have not tried it on another wireless network which l think is the first port of call. Reflashing has not been successful as l have Vista 64bit and have had issues getting the flasher to see the N900 via USB. I have located someone with XP so will try on that OS.
Regarding the TCP Dump, l'll try the two above first before proceeding with this.

Thanks once again for your help!
I have not tried it, but you can download Ubutnu Desktop installation CD, it includes an option to start the OS from the disc,
Maybe then you can reflash from that ubuntu - afaik it's a fully functional ubuntu, though I have not attempted to install anything on it as it's on the disc (: but maybe you can download the flasher to some diskonkey, and run it from that ubuntu live.