Active Topics

hi guys seeing that I'm not expert about our nokia n900 I'd like to know something about the roofts,as what rules does??with small space can make the device slow??how much the normal space required is??in my n9 the space is 9 mb is that normal??

thanks

Hi.
I don't think small rootfs will slow down the device. 9mb is dangerously low though. You should uninstall some apps you got from extras-devel and extras-testing, since if rootfs comes down to 0 your device will brick (you'll need to flash it).
I think a freshly flashed N900 has about 70mb free rootfs, I personnally run at 58mb free and installed nearly nothing from devel and testing.
Hope it helped.

Originally Posted by gtessier00 View Post
Hi.
I don't think small rootfs will slow down the device. 9mb is dangerously low though. You should uninstall some apps you got from extras-devel and extras-testing, since if rootfs comes down to 0 your device will brick (you'll need to flash it).
I think a freshly flashed N900 has about 70mb free rootfs, I personnally run at 58mb free and installed nearly nothing from devel and testing.
Hope it helped.

thanks,i didn't think i could brick my phone with low space in the roofts.seeing that i have only few app from extra testing and devel,what should i do to get some space??

9mb is really low mate

i have testing enabled and quite a few apps from there and alot from extras and iam down to 52mb

if you use the search there is allready alot of info on rootfs and how to free it up

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Just disable all other respositories like extras-devel, extras testing etc.
You can enable them when you want to download an application.

i had lots of themes of installed which killed my free space, so if you got lots get rid of a few.

also if you want to get into the more technical side you re-direct your apt-cache, themes and so on, so thats its stored on the 32gb memory. ill find the page and edit this post with the link.

EDIT: heres what i followed

http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_up_rootfs_space

Last edited by xFinal; 2010-04-04 at 22:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to xFinal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xFinal View Post
i had lots of themes of installed which killed my free space, so if you got lots get rid of a few.

also if you want to get into the more technical side you re-direct your apt-cache, themes and so on, so thats its stored on the 32gb memory. ill find the page and edit this post with the link.

EDIT: heres what i followed

http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_up_rootfs_space
thanks for the suggestion.i followed the 3 command line in x terminal for microb.nokia maos and the application but when i wrote it nothing happen in the terminal,is that normal??how can i check that i did it right??

Am i right in saying that the application conky can give you an accurate rootfs reading?

After disabling extras devel, extras testing and diablo CONKY shows 55.8mb free about 27%.

How do we know which applications are optified or not?

Last edited by Bazza; 2010-04-05 at 02:09.

Maemo extras are all optified. Testing and devels are often not optified. What I do is before installing an interesting app, I come on this forum and do some research to know if the app is safe to use.
That's what I did with fMMS, which is still in devel, and then I installed, and saw that it really works well.

Yes Conky is accurate!

The Following User Says Thank You to gtessier00 For This Useful Post:
As a matter interest with you being more clued up than me, what does your rootfs stand at?