Active Topics

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Hertfordshire, UK
Is anyone having problems with the USB PC connection?

I have two 4GB cards installed. If I try to copy large files across (say bigger than 100MB), at some random point, connectivity is lost. Looking at the file manager on the n800, both SD cards have disappeared. It takes a reboot (actually have to remove the battery to get the thing restarted) to make them reappear.

More often than not, the internal card reappears, but the external card doesn't.

Anyone suggestions?

Cheers,

Mike.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Devon, UK
The cards should disappear from the file manager when there is a USB connection to the PC. So I guess the problem is that they don't reappear when the cable is unplugged. Perhaps this suggests that the problem is at the N800 end, but I don't trust PCs.

Good to learn that 2x4GB cards does work, though I suppose that could be part of the problem as I guess it takes you somewhat outside Nokia's stated spec for the N800.

Things to test might be - only using one card. Disabling virtual memory so the N800 makes no use of the cards at all.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Hertfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by msaunby View Post
The cards should disappear from the file manager when there is a USB connection to the PC. So I guess the problem is that they don't reappear when the cable is unplugged. Perhaps this suggests that the problem is at the N800 end, but I don't trust PCs.
Its definitely the n800. A reboot of the n800 seems to make the internal card reappear, but not the external one. I haven't worked out yet how I got the external one to work again yet ...

Good to learn that 2x4GB cards does work, though I suppose that could be part of the problem as I guess it takes you somewhat outside Nokia's stated spec for the N800.
I can't say for sure that 2x4GB cards work just yet.

Things to test might be - only using one card. Disabling virtual memory so the N800 makes no use of the cards at all.
A single card (internally) seems to work consistently. Interestingly enough, I can't create a swapfile for some reason. I think I saw a post about that, but I haven't had time to investigate it yet.

If I take the card which works internally and place it in the external slot, it doesn't work.

Also, I have a 64MB card what always works in the external slot. But its a Sandisk card, so I can't say if its the manufacturer or the capacity that is the issue.