Active Topics

Hi everybody;
I'm new to Maemo,i need to install deb files but it asks for password to get privilege access,i know there is no default password.I installed rootsh but don't how to do furthur operations.Besides i'm little confused installing DEB files.I've had the experience installing deb files on iphones but this seems little diffrent as i can't find "/home/user/MyDocs/.Documents/".
I just see .Documnets in file manager,i'm little confused,please help me ASAP as i'm in an emergency situation

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
To get root type 'sudo gainroot'. The documents directory has a different name, and if you can't find it using the standard commandline tools you should give serious consideration to whether you really want to be poking around your device with a root shell.

Besides which, what's wrong with just opening the .deb in the file manager?

i need to install ukeyboard for Arabic persian keyboard,i found deb based file but i don't know how to do it,looked more and found another one in "http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel",updated the source but when i want to install it asks for some file named "hildon-im-fkb(>=3.9.61-1) and fails to install.

I have no hestation to do risky jobs on this phone

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by meisam View Post
i need to install ukeyboard for Arabic persian keyboard,i found deb based file but i don't know how to do it,looked more and found another one in "http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel",updated the source but when i want to install it asks for some file named "hildon-im-fkb(>=3.9.61-1) and fails to install.

I have no hestation to do risky jobs on this phone
The "Documents" folder in the file manager is actually at /home/user/MyDocs/.documents (note the lower-case 'd').
If the package you want is in a repository, it's always* advised to add the repository rather than manually installing the package. If you do add Extras-devel, though, make sure you're aware of risks, and don't run an upgrade with it enabled, as it will probably update all sorts of things to broken versions. The reason you're getting an error while trying to install the DEB (using dpkg, I presume?) is that dpkg doesn't resolve dependencies; the package you are trying to install needs hildon-im-fkb to function, but dpkg doesn't have the capabilities to find and install it. This is one of the reasons we have repos in the first place. If you really must install things manually, then every time you see an error like that, you have to go track down the package with that name (and version, if a minimum or exact version is specified, as in this case), and install it first. It will probably give you a dozen similar errors, so repeat until it stops complaining. This is commonly known as Dependency Hell - see previous comments about the merits of repositories. :P

*okay, not "always", I suppose, but if you're doing something that requires you to not use an available repo, then you probably shouldn't be doing it if you need to ask how.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: