Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Reuters

...and of course the media is talking about it as if everyone's copying Apple

"Analyst said in addition to Nokia also many other handset and PC vendors like Samsung Electronics (005930.KS) and HP (HPQ.N) are set to follow Apple's (AAPL.O) move into a new category of devices between PCs and smartphones."

Sounds good, though. If Nokia can execute better than Apple, it could be a big hit despite (or even due to) the iPad hype.

Since the rumors only have a date, we might as well discuss what everyone here would like from an iPad-sized device. Personally, I would like:
(NOTE: THIS IS NOT FROM THE ARTICLE)

-Intel graphics with Free drivers
-Intel networking with Free drivers
-Intel X25-M integrated on the motherboard
-Touchscreen that stops recognizing your hand if you pull out the stylus.
-Attachable wireless keyboard with multitouch touchpad
-MeeGo

ARM is great, but Intel can offer so much more for the system as a whole. I can live with being able to install Windows .

I suspect my wishes would be too expensive or heavy, though.

Last edited by jnwi; 2010-04-06 at 16:50.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
the size of the ipad puts me off, im hoping nokia stick to mobile sized devices, i wouldnt mind my n900 being an inch bigger tho (and i know a few women who have said that to me before!) but back to the n900, an inch bigger, a bigger battery, a bigger processor and the ipad will be history, imho

Yah! totally agreed,... an inch bigger for N900 will be perfect.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Glendale, CA
This Reuters post is devoid of content. No one can tell if this is about the maemo tablet series (all of the previous devices to the N900 have been tablets) or if this is a new device. Maybe this is just a ploy by Reuters to get more ad eyeballs on anything that says tablet now that the iPad is out?

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Haha!
The iPad can't do anything more than my N900.
I think it is the usual Apple-fanboyism and hype.

EDIT: I tried to comment on the linked article, but I get "Your comment failed to be submitted." every time. LOL.

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-04-06 at 18:29.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
The upcoming Maemo6/MeeGo phone could be it for me, as I need to have as many funtions as possible stuck into a single device. This business with the Pads and Slates is taking it in another direction completely. If the next NXX device is thinner with a 4" screen and qwerty then I'm sold.

That said, I do feel a strange yearning towards a tablet shaped device as well :P My ideal tablet would run either Ubuntu or MeeGo.

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ SF East Bay, Cali
I'll wait for the real electronic paper tablet I can fold or roll up and stick in a pocket. Now that to me will be revolutionary, otherwise it seems to me that we're just currently tossing around devices with different form-factors... *yawn*

Originally Posted by leetut View Post
the size of the ipad puts me off, im hoping nokia stick to mobile sized devices, i wouldnt mind my n900 being an inch bigger tho (and i know a few women who have said that to me before!) but back to the n900, an inch bigger, a bigger battery, a bigger processor and the ipad will be history, imho
I'm not sure I agree. A bigger screen would be nice, but the N900 doesn't feel comfortable in one hand as it is. I'd be happier with something slightly smaller physically with the screen as close to the edges as possible.

If I buy an even larger device, it needs to also replace my netbook to be worth the money, and MeeGo is obviously capable of that on a sufficiently large screen.

Originally Posted by microe View Post
This Reuters post is devoid of content. No one can tell if this is about the maemo tablet series (all of the previous devices to the N900 have been tablets) or if this is a new device. Maybe this is just a ploy by Reuters to get more ad eyeballs on anything that says tablet now that the iPad is out?
Given the context (iPad), I'm assuming the rumor is about a much larger screen than previous Maemo devices.

Last edited by jnwi; 2010-04-06 at 18:43.

Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
ARM is great, but Intel can offer so much more for the system as a whole.
Including less battery life. Intel has a long way to go before their power consumption is anywhere near what ARM can offer.

Personally I would like to stay away from Intel, if only to ensure that we have diversity in the marketplace instead of Intel and x86 everywhere, and all the problems that brings us. This is my current concern with MeeGo, that Intel will (like the SSSE3 requirement) make changes that malign non-Intel platforms.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Including less battery life. Intel has a long way to go before their power consumption is anywhere near what ARM can offer.
On phones, yes. On 10" devices, Atom is adequate if there are other benefits.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Personally I would like to stay away from Intel, if only to ensure that we have diversity in the marketplace instead of Intel and x86 everywhere, and all the problems that brings us. This is my current concern with MeeGo, that Intel will (like the SSSE3 requirement) make changes that malign non-Intel platforms.
It's funny how we'd need to both avoid x86 in order to promote diversity, and embrace it in order to ensure proper drivers, since Intel is the only company that consistently provides them.

PowerVR probably won't open source their drivers unless Intel becomes competitive.