Active Topics

I would like to know how the Nokia N900 manages cell signal strength and where exactly the configuration files for the cell radio are located.
I would like to know this so that I can maybe increase the sensitivity of the cell signal. This would help as I currently only get 1 bar in my house.

Is there a way to increase cell signal n900?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
so you think you can optimize things better than nokia? I strongly doubt and those configurations probably are within cellular fw that can't be tampered (at least as easily as the normal os stuff)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Maybe use this?

You can make calls and microwave everyone within a 5 metre radius.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
OP has an interesting point - possibly at the expense of battery life; but i'm sure the cell strength can be powered up through hacking.

maybe a widget that maxes up the power when plugged into the wall?

Latest TMO runaway thread:
"Overclock your GSM Antenna!!!1!"
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

I would be happy to sacrifice battery life for increased cell signal, and yes I believe I can optimize the N900 to my needs better than Nokia can.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I read an article recently that said one of the mobile phone providers (Sprint?) was selling a gadget just for the purpose of enhancing its signal. I'm not sure whether the gadget was out, or was planned soon.

Maybe you should talk to the mobile phone company.

Its called a FemtoCell but tmobile USA has no intention of releasing one, so that option is out.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
thanks ionstorm - i thought geneven might have meant a femtocell but that's quite far removed from what is being discussed here.

I think in reality though if you can't get signal at home the quickest, cheapest and easiest way to get coverage is a femtocell... i know my carrier offer them for £50 or £5/month which isn't really too bad. Don't think you can 'Bay them yet though due to the difficulties in tunnelling to said carriers network.

Original suggestion is still intriguing though.

Another question - do people know if the GSM antenna has local restrictions placed on it (ala the FM transmitter) or if in anyway the power to it is likely to be able to be amped up over standard? At certain times it would be useful to whack it right up for a short period.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

To the original poster and other budding network optimisation gurus.

Do you even know where to start?

Whats your issue with? Data, voice?

The network signal strength is a continously changing parameter that is managed by both the network equipment and the device connected to it, automatically.

Depending on if you are connected to 2G, 3G, if your device is idle, if it is has a data context, your location, the number of other devices connected to the cell, the network and device will manage the power of the transmitted signal from the network.

If you have issues with your signal strength I would suggest you contact the network you subscribe to.

If you don't get good service, move to another network.

If you still want to learn more, I'd suggest you start reading aboutRadio Resource Management: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_resource_management

Hope that helps.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney Australia
ionstorm, don't let the Nay-Sayers here put you off - this topic started the same with people saying how crazy the idea was and how impossible it would be.

That's what's great about this community - we have the nutters that will try anything to improve our product.