Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Theory only question - would it be possible to have an application for the phone that access the 'phone' hardware at a low level and turns the device into a GSM blocker?

I know there are difficulties accessing these hardware items at a low level as the drivers are propriety. I guess you'd only need to be able to control data and output and then you could just output random junk across the range at full power and it would interrupt local reception.

Please note that this thread is just a point of discussion, I don't expect anyone to make this app. I'm just interested in if it could be done and then what the consequence would be.

Kinda thinking if it could be done it already would have?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Last edited by cashclientel; 2010-04-09 at 15:14.

I'd be interested in this to stop the googlers at my local pub quiz...

What's the point, when you can just buy dedicated blockers for significantly less money, that work better than the N900 could ever be at blocking gsm signals.

Probably not. This is exactly the type of problem that companies don't want to cause with re-programmable phones.

Afaiu the phone hardware is accessed using the equivalent of AT commands, so you have no real/easy low-level control of the radio hw.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Theory only question - would it be possible to have an application for the phone that access the 'phone' hardware at a low level and turns the device into a GSM blocker?
Let me guess...you are a teacher!

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
What's the point, when you can just buy dedicated blockers for significantly less money, that work better than the N900 could ever be at blocking gsm signals.
Uh, if we assume one already has the N900, surely you can't get a dedicated GSM blocker cheaper than the free software that'd make the N900 do the same thing?