Active Topics

Hi All,

I've got a skype account and have it set up already on my N900, but so far have used it for IM only.

In September I'll be off on holiday to Cyprus and I have found out the place I'm staying has wifi (not sure of cost of that yet! - so not taking that into account yet!).

So I'm thinking of using my N900 & getting some Skype credit & the hotel Wifi, to ring home.

My first question is, are the country rates shown on Skype regardless of the source country of the call? i.e. regardless of where I call a UK landline from, it'll always be 1.4p/min?

Also, when you run out of Skype Credit, do it simply not work? Or will I get a message informing me it's run out when I try to make a call?

Many thanks,
Dex

PS. as a side question, can I easily disable the GSM on my phone so it only connects to the wifi when I switch it on and not the mobile network?

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
short answers :

yes, Skype call costs are independent of the source country if you use Skype (or any other VOIP solution)

you can set up auto top-up using a credit card on the Skype website. So you're never without credit. Works fine !

side answer : just take out the sim card, N900 is perfectly happy without it. Guaranteed no huge bills. !

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Yes you can, I'm pretty sure you will receive notification on your e-mail when you run out of credit but as Netweaver mentioned costs are different

There is an app in extras-devel which can disable cellular network without going offline...I just dont know its name

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Also, when you make a skype call it shows the credit you have in the phone app (above the 'call' botton) when you make the call..
I recently used it in the way you describe whilst in New York, it was faultless and dirt cheap.

Originally Posted by Dexter1759 View Post
Also, when you run out of Skype Credit, do it simply not work? Or will I get a message informing me it's run out when I try to make a call?
I have "Skype Out", the $3/mo. plan, and whenever I make a Skype call (to the PSTN), my current balance is displayed. Since all of my calls are domestic, I can not confirm if the balance changes in real-time, but at least at the end of the call, and by the start of the next, it should display the remaning balance.

Wow, thanks for all the replies, sounds easy enough. Will try and find the app to disable GSM, since i'd probably still want to send/recieve SMS messages!

Thanks again!
Dex

Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
Not sure if you found the app, but it is called cellular modem control buttons. Lets you switch between tablet and phone mode.