Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
OK, without wishing to gush about the device any more than is sick-makingly necessary, I have to admit the hardware design of the thing is seriously impressive. Just look at the size (or lack of size) of that logic board, which presumably is under the metal shielding unless it's hidden away elsewhere. The device is literally ALL battery and screen.

Great hardware design, Apple.

The main logic board is one very weird piece of this puzzle. Unlike the iPhone 3GS teardown, which revealed a large logic board along with another part down by the dock connector, this design only has something maybe 1/3 of the size, along with one or two extraneous parts. Basically, the guts have shrunk drastically.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
You don't need much space for c**p.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
This is certainly going to be an impressive bit of kit when it comes out. Should be a fairly exciting device (not that I'll be buying it). It also looks quite nice, especially for a prototype, although not in the state its pictured above!!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post

Chip?

Actually that's the main reason they've been able to shrink it down. Instead of using mutiple chipsets, i heard they use a single SoC (Apple A4, which is their own version of Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
While I'm not a fan of the company or its policies, I'm focusing on the hardware here which is anything but "cr**p".

The iPhone 3GS hardware is pretty much a match for the N900 every side up apart from the lower resolution screen (plus it has a digital compass...), and this new device is speculated to have a higher resolution screen in which case it may well be the equal of the N900 hardware but with a logic board a fraction of the size.

Why does that matter? Bigger battery for a start and/or smaller & slimmer device, not to mention lower manufacturing costs (in the long run). I love my N900, but it's a beast.

Credit where credit is due, it's a feat of engineering.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Lets not let alliegences ruin an otherwise open discussion about an engineering marvel.

@ Millhouse, thats one helluva small board. In reality, you have to take your hat off to Apple. I'm not a fan because they have a seriously locked down OS, but the technology that they have crammed into these new gen iPhones is unreal. And you've also got to hand it to them - that's one slim phone.... At least when you brick it with an N900, you can actually use it as a keystone for a bridge. You brick the iPhone and you could only just about use it as a coaster!

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'm focusing on the hardware here which is anything but cr**p
Cr**p? Crisp? I'd say it's pretty crisp personally.

Makes you wonder really, when the technology exists to allow the multifunctionality of phones like the N900 and the iPhone, how long will actually be before we are all using PC's with equivalent power to your desktop at home on the move, and you pick it up and put it into your pocket....

Intel have just released the latest processor, the i7 980X which runs 6 dedicated native cores. All with Hyperthreading technology. Meaning in Task Manager you see 12 cores. Sick.

The Following User Says Thank You to Switch_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Crop?
I need a lot of space lol for my farmville crop

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post

The iPhone 3GS hardware is pretty much a match for the N900 every side up
it is impressive but the 3G's hardware is a match for match?

- As u mentioned, lower resolution
- Far less built in memory, and no external memory option
- Inferior camera (photo and video)
- Inferior sound quality (N900's speakers arent the best but far better than the 3G)

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
it is impressive but the 3G's hardware is a match for match?

- As u mentioned, lower resolution
- Far less built in memory, and no external memory option
- Inferior camera (photo and video)
- Inferior sound quality (N900's speakers arent the best but far better than the 3G)
I think he's talking basics as in cpu and gpu.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
from a hardware perspective This is better

http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/...sassembly.html

its got a removable battery, sd card slot and a 5mpix camera, in a slimmer and smaller case.
oh and a keyboard.