Active Topics

Don't know why but I get this feeling that re-flashing with new firmware is better than installing firmware update. It is like fresh start and as a windows user it make sense to me.

Am i wasting time by re-flashing?

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Yeah that's the same thin I'm doing, I've actually haven't installed any new apps since I reflashed to a custom OD'd kernel and started fresh. Still waiting for PR1.2.

Well no you are not - there are dot files/folders left over and starting from a fresh reflash makes sense as applications may have been updated and the dot files may be out of date/incorrect and *can* cause problems.

Hf waiting for PR 1.2.

vista → win7
worse than
0 → win7
0 means no os

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
as linux user i would say that it would be silly to re-flash everytime (btw is it healthy for flashcard?). it's like reinstalling when new kernel is comming. all i do i restart after kernel compile.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joshv06 View Post
Yeah that's the same thin I'm doing, I've actually haven't installed any new apps since I reflashed to a custom OD'd kernel and started fresh. Still waiting for PR1.2.
Excuse my ignorance but i dont get this whole reflashing thing.

everytime you do it you will need to upload all applications again and if you have not added any apps since am i to assume you are using the phone as is out of the box. TBH i could not use the N900 straight out of the box it just would not be worth it i might as well have my old 5800.

I understand its a geeky phone but even the proper linux geeks have tweaked and installed god knows how many apps, porting this and that. do any of them use the phone just out of the box with nothing on it. or is a Custom OD'd kernal come with loads of preloaded stuff

Well, at least you'll never have to reflash again, right?

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I reflash every update and normally once in between but I have a reason for it I constant test new things on my device and it ends up getting really slow and bogged down by the time an update is out. I did the same with my N810. Even after they started the over the air updates.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Sorry. I was attempting to joke about how PR1.2 is never coming out.