I know this is probably a tad too late in the game, but I thought I would post this if there are still any N800 users who wanted to do this. Ever since I bought my N800, I wanted to have a black faceplate (or 'A' cover) on it. I thought about purchasing an extra faceplate, and try painting it. About 2 weeks ago, I decided a different route, and purchased some flat black decal material off of ebay, and with a disposable utility knife, was able to apply it to my cover. The great thing about it is I can easily remove it if I ever get tired of it. I think it turned out really well. Here is the ebay item I purchased:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180293666013
Attached Images

Last edited by liquid217; 2010-05-24 at 14:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liquid217 For This Useful Post:
That looks great, good work

Does it affect sound quality/volume? Was it hard to make it fit on the edges?

It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Basically the steps were:
1) Remove the faceplate (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...plate?ipost=#9)
2) Place the faceplate down on the adhesive side of the material, cut off the excess around it.
3) Cut diagonally, from one corner of an opening, to the adjacent opening, creating an X. Do this 3 times: Once for the screen, Dpad, then the menu buttons.
4) Pull the material back and then press down on it to adhere it to the backside. You could use a ink pen cap, or something to make sure it is good and applied. Also, carefully pick it up and look at the front to make sure there aren't any air bubbles. For the outside corners, I stretched it a bit more, so that it doesn't have any fold lines, and it looks consistent around the edge.
5) Cut off the excess from pulling the vinyl over. Be careful around the speaker area, as there is some type of mesh material there.

It doesn't seem to affect the sound by much, if at any. If anything, the higher frequencies might be attenuated slightly.

Looking on ebay, there are several other vinyl decal colors/patterns too (a woodgrain finish anyone? ). Searching ebay for "vinyl decal sheet" has lots of results.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to liquid217 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the info
I might try this one, looks like black leather:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=190325422620

Cool. Be sure to post pics once you finish it.
This ebay search seems to pull up better results than what I mentioned previously.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Ac...c0.m282&_rdc=1

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by liquid217 View Post
I know this is probably a tad too late in the game, but I thought I would post this if there are still any N800 users who wanted to do this. Ever since I bought my N800, I wanted to have a black faceplate (or 'A' cover) on it. I thought about purchasing an extra faceplate, and try painting it. About 2 weeks ago, I decided a different route, and purchased some flat black decal material off of ebay, and with a disposable razorblade, was able to apply it to my cover. The great thing about it is I can easily remove it if I ever get tired of it. I think it turned out really well. Here is the ebay item I purchased:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180293666013
I use a powder blue translucent silicon rubber "glove" to protect my N800. I have removed the "kick stand" and have access to all connections.

Name:  N800_SC.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  35.4 KB

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
Hmmm

I have a vinyl cutter. I would be able to cut these out on that. It wouldn't be able to wrap around the edges of the case though.

Is this something you guys would want me to look into further?

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ California
I have wanted to have a black face plate as well. The pick you posted looks nice but I do not see any speaker holes. How does this affect the sound quality?

Honestly, I haven't noticed much difference at all. As I mentioned above, the higher frequencies might be attenuated some, but that's all I have noticed.
After having it on my NIT for almost a month, it has held up quite well. There were some spots kinda lifting up some around the home keys. Popping the cover off and smoothing them out worked fine though.

Last edited by liquid217; 2010-05-19 at 03:46. Reason: spelling error