Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
okay please don't just tell me to f**k off and code it myself cos i wouldn't know where to start, but anyone with some coding know-how please have a look and tell me how feasible this is...

okay so this is the portrait mode dialling pad...

has everything we need i think, phone keypad with letters included, back button, send button, (alpha)numeric field? and a plug in option...

now how hard would it be to develop a plugin that would allow input of letters via the pad, to send as a text? forget T9, contact integration, or anything fancy for now... is it doable?

i'm sure you know how many people want portrait text, i thought i'd try a suggestion rather than prayer! would it help if i set up a paypal donation button for anyone willing to develop this? (not that i know how to do a donate button but i'm sure its easier than coding with zero knowledge!)

please someone make my (somewhat sad and desperate) dream come true!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
Since nobody seems to be replying I thought I would give you some scottish support . Although I must tell you that I too don't have a clue about developing.

Although I was thinking if someone can develop an application to send MMS messages (fMMS). Can an application not be developed in a similar style to send SMS using a portrait virtual keyboard?

I can imagine it many be a complicated task but at the same time with the amount of people who would benefit, it would also be very rewarding.

Last edited by al678; 2010-04-24 at 16:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to al678 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
There is a rumour that it will be included in PR 1.2 However sometimes I think that PR 1.2 itself is a rumour..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
thanks for the moral support if not technical! thought my suggestion would slip unnoticed into the void.

yup i think pr1.2 may be a rumour too, and i think pinning our hopes on it doing anything significantly useful is just gonna end in tears!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
There is a rumour that it will be included in PR 1.2 However sometimes I think that PR 1.2 itself is a rumour..
rumour vs official announcement that device won't have full portrait mode support (and pr1.2 brings portrait mode to web browser...)

btw portrait sms app is a good idea, and I don't have anything to do now so I'll try to get portrait UI working for the python today.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
(anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong here) I think that the dial pad is closed source and cannot be modified, if this kind of app would be created it will have to reconstruct all the functionallities of the current dial pad app.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
rumour vs official announcement that device won't have full portrait mode support (and pr1.2 brings portrait mode to web browser...)

btw portrait sms app is a good idea, and I don't have anything to do now so I'll try to get portrait UI working for the python today.
keep us posted! i've heard actually utilising portrait mode is a bit of a pain, thats why i felt integrating a plug in into a portrait friendly ui might be easier, but hey whatever gets it working i'll love!

Originally Posted by omeriko9 View Post
(anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong here) I think that the dial pad is closed source and cannot be modified, if this kind of app would be created it will have to reconstruct all the functionallities of the current dial pad app.
i think it is closed source, but we wouldn't really be altering the pad, just integrating a plugin which should be fine. i mean thats my theory, though i'm very often very wrong!

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
i think it is closed source, but we wouldn't really be altering the pad, just integrating a plugin which should be fine. i mean thats my theory, though i'm very often very wrong!
Yes, it's not clear at the moment.

AFAIK, in order to allow a software plug-in, the software needs to have a plugin schema (that can identify it and communicate with it), and I think the dial pad has no plugin schema support, so any plugin would actually have to be a peace of software that replace the current app and "override" it in order to offer an extended fuctionallity.

Anyone with experience in that feild to comment about the technical phisibility of such feature?

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
I don't think a plugin would work. For one thing it is closed source so you can't possibly make the existing pad invoke the plugin. For another, even if you somehow make this work..the pad has nothing to do with the on-screen qwerty or with text input whatsoever.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post: