Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
What if we can have the N900 tell us the geographical location of where an incoming calls are coming from? Maybe the state or the country (if international).

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
What if we can have the N900 tell us the geographical location of where an incoming calls are coming from? Maybe the state or the country (if international).
To me, the ideal would be 1-2 feature requests to Nokia.

I would ask that at least they would implement the Locations API so that someone could consistently ask about telephone contacts' locations the exact same way one might due it to GTalk (once supported).

The second would be either community or Nokia to expose this through the phone UI.

EDIT: I did find an API for this that I'm going to use in my Google Voice plugin
http://digits.cloudvox.com/

Last edited by epage; 2010-04-28 at 00:43. Reason: Formatting

Originally Posted by epage View Post
To me, the ideal would be 1-2 feature requests to Nokia.

I would ask that at least they would implement the Locations API so that someone could consistently ask about telephone contacts' locations the exact same way one might due it to GTalk (once supported).

The second would be either community or Nokia to expose this through the phone UI.

EDIT: I did find an API for this that I'm going to use in my Google Voice plugin
http://digits.cloudvox.com/

Doesn't google voice already have this feature? Can we apply the code in the link to the N900 to produce the same effect? If so, can you provide a step by step guide in doing it?

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Doesn't google voice already have this feature? Can we apply the code in the link to the N900 to produce the same effect? If so, can you provide a step by step guide in doing it?
GV does but they only provide it when a name isn't known for a contact. When implementing the Location support for my GV plugin (The One Ring) I will want it for all contacts).

The UI is closed so in part this depends on how you want it to happen. There is an app in development that is suppose to speak the callers name. Maybe having it added to that app?

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
Use to have an app on my winmo phone that did that and more use to give you the cell network they using and if they called from a landline give info on who lived there and all type of stuff

Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Use to have an app on my winmo phone that did that and more use to give you the cell network they using and if they called from a landline give info on who lived there and all type of stuff
Do you recall the name of the app? Maybe someonee here can take a look at the app and mimic it to produce maemo version.

Originally Posted by epage View Post
GV does but they only provide it when a name isn't known for a contact. When implementing the Location support for my GV plugin (The One Ring) I will want it for all contacts).

The UI is closed so in part this depends on how you want it to happen. There is an app in development that is suppose to speak the callers name. Maybe having it added to that app?
Cool. Thanks.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
Do you recall the name of the app? Maybe someonee here can take a look at the app and mimic it to produce maemo version.
No problem I've been meaning to make a thread of the apps I miss on window mobile I will be getting around it in the next couple of weeks cause I believe it will make the n900 better and give people of ideas for apps. But the name of the app was called NetCallerID and the website is www.netcallerid.com hope this helps

The Following User Says Thank You to Hotshot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
No problem I've been meaning to make a thread of the apps I miss on window mobile I will be getting around it in the next couple of weeks cause I believe it will make the n900 better and give people of ideas for apps. But the name of the app was called NetCallerID and the website is www.netcallerid.com hope this helps
The app is great. If implimented in the N900, it would be the happiest day of my life, lol. Now it is up to the lovely programmers at maemo to do the job they love doing...