Posts: 55 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Hello everybody, i'm a new member...well, i'm medium level user in pc, don't in linux world but it's exciting...

This is my idea...

Could we create a kind of ISO image of a SIM card to use several lines, numbers, operators simultaneosly as we do in PC, creating virtuals drives?

Last edited by chemist; 2010-05-21 at 11:56.

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
It's not possible to create copies of so called SIM cards.

Me on twitter

I think that it would be illegal in many (all?) countries

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Megaltariak View Post
I think that it would be illegal in many (all?) countries
Why if its your sim card and you pay the bill?

The biggest problem is the cellular module is closed source

so we can't fake the data that comes "from and to" the sim card and the antenna

of course you can use an usb sim reader and an ordinary pc to get and clone data, but you cant put it back in the sim nor let it work in n900 by software

AFAIK

Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
Why if its your sim card and you pay the bill?
AFAIK, you dont "own" the data inside the simcard, you only has the licence to use it by contract, with terms and conditions, and you pay for that.

you should check what conditions apply for your particular case, but im sure that you cant do what you want

The Following User Says Thank You to clasificado For This Useful Post:
Well, the fact is that actually there are phones with 2 SIM cards sockets inside, ok...

Right now many of us must carry at least two phones, I have three (Movistar, Comcel and Tigo) phone in my pocket and I think if you buy a powerfull n900, some of us can free many people from this burden ...

Last edited by hgroove; 2010-05-03 at 19:42.

Great Idea.
If the original cellular module is closed source, we could try to create an own cellular module which has this feature build-in.
You'll still have to check your contract conditions anyway.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
There are a few companies that make special sim cards that can be programmed with multiple sets of data from other sim cards. They typically come with a "multi-sim", a sim reader/writer, and some software for a PC and the phone.

The way they work (to my understanding) is they read 2 to 6 sim cards and store that info into the "mult-sim". Then, based on a hidden sim contact entry the card will reply out with one of the known IDs when queried. Usually the software for the phone will let you write/update which profile to use and then either reset the phone or make it think it lost carrier (or tell it the sim was replaced in some way) and the new profile is then re-read and you change services.

It's not an ideal solution, but it works for most people. I'm not sure how the N900 would work with it, since I'm sure it's not popular enough to be a supported phone, but if you contact a company that makes these, they may be willing to let you know some specs on how to switch profiles. Good luck!

Some Software features and procedure:

1) Software makes an "Image" of the SIM card in the internal socket. It stores the internal network ID (telephone number, contract cellular plan and operator's ID) and contacts too if you want it in the memory of the phone.

2) Then, you decide if to use the "phisical Sim" or "Virtual" SIM. If you decide use the Virtual SIM, you can put out the phisical SIM and store it in a safe place. Anyway you are paying the contract bill. Or you can still use the phisical one.

3) Once done, we can turn off the phone and put in the socket another SIM and repeat the operation as many times as we want.

Now, with the "Images" of our SIM in the phone the software can mount it in "virtual sockets" so we can use all the SIM's images simultaneosly or the one we choose.

So I think... if cheap phones can do it well with 2 SIM, why no our Nokia N900?

Last edited by hgroove; 2010-05-04 at 02:11.