Active Topics

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Malaysia
For about a week I have a strange problem with the reminder function of N900 appointments in the calendar. The appointments and to-do items in my calendar don’t react to the settings of alarms anymore. I have set up the Mail for Exchange and it used to work just fine with the appointments with the reminders until now. Now I have realized that even though the event has an reminder set for 15 min. before the start of the event, nothing happens on the phone when the time has come. When I check the appointment in question, I can see that the reminder is set to ring 15 min. before the event just like in my laptop’s Outlook calendar. First I blamed it on MfE but to test this, I made an appointment manually in the phone and set a reminder for 15 min. before the event. I disconnected the sync. To the MfE (made it manual sync. Only). And waited for the alarm to ring but nothing happened when the time came.

Here is what I have done so far for the trouble shooting.
- rebooting the phone (including battery out and back in)
- turned the MfE to manual sync to narrow down the cause of the problem
- set up to-do item with the alarm and they don’t alarm either! Basically it feels as if the device has totally forgotten how to act when there is a reminder event triggered.

Here is the list of confirmations:
- I’m on the PR1.1.1 and haven’t flashed or intend to flash to PR1.2 until it comes from Nokia
- I confirm that the normal “alarms” from the date and time (to wake up in the morning etc.) are working fine
- I have the program installed that creates additional profiles besides the General and Silent but that has been there for months now and everything has worked fine until now.
- I have not installed something new during last week (except for almost the “daily” updates that are coming from fMMS and few other such programs)
- It’s not that I don’t hear the reminder because it’s on silent mode or in the pocket etc. The device is right in my hand with the General profile and there is a calendar event setup with the reminder activated (tried different settings like 15 min. before, 30 min. before etc.) but when the time comes for the phone to remind, nothing happens! Earlier there was a flashing screen with the name of the event and two buttons like “stop” and “snooze” or something like that. Now absolutely nothing! No blinking, no sound, just plain “nothing” happens.

I’m running out of ideas where to look for the possible cause of this problem. Can someone please point me to the right direction?

Thanks,
Hagar
Last: N900

Last edited by Hagar; 2010-05-07 at 05:35.

I don't want to push here but is there anyone with any suggestions? has this happened to anybody except me? Since my previous post I've tried uninstalling some applications including the one that added extra profiles. Complete reboots after every uninstallations etc. No effect

I don't want to do a complete re-flashing now because I was hoping to do it with the PR1.2 arrival anyway Please guys/gals, help me out here. give some suggestions how to locate the problem using x-term or debugging mode or something. I'm a noob in Linux world but NOT with computers generally or command line.

Hagar

Well, at least I seem to have found a unique bug (if not the solution)

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Yep sounds like a bug. Have you reported it?
Sorry cant provide more insight.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Thanks afaq. I'm not sure where and how to report this. I also don't know how to reproduce it and all the other such stuff that someone might ask about this bug! Well, I guess I will try to survive without the reminders until the PR1.2 comes out and then reflash the whole device. Let's see if this occurs again, I might try to trace myself what was the last action that caused this bug

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Thanks afaq. I'm not sure where and how to report this. I also don't know how to reproduce it and all the other such stuff that someone might ask about this bug!
Try registering on https://bugs.maemo.org/, and filing a bug in Maemo Official Applications, Calendar. Hopefully you'll get a friendly reception.