Originally Posted by evilJazz View Post
Ask yourself instead why this person is trading to get the N900...
He said he wasn't impressed with the Milestone.
________
Vaporizer review

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 12:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to nax3000 For This Useful Post:
I have both the Nokia N900 and the Motorola Milestone.

My Milestone has been collecting dust for the last 4 months as it was totally un-usable on 2.0 and 2.0.1. With the release of 2.1 and Google Navigation this device is finally working in the way that I would expect (i.e. MP3s that dont skip).

However it isnt totally bug free and I still cannot get my coroprate MS Exchange to work, even though it supports full provisioning now.

If your friend installs 2.1 then I imagine they will want to reconsider the deal!.

I have stopped using the N900 (for now) as all development on this platform has ground to a halt (not to mention the poor power management). I wait to see if PR1.2 and Qt framework can breath any life back into the Maemo platform.

The Beta Qt Creator looked promising but it still has a long way to go before it can compete commercially.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
I heard about the N900 before it was released and pre-ordered it as soon as I could, as it looked and sounded amazing. The media released by nokia for the N900 (too me) was great! I now know that the N900 wasnt meant to be a big thing, but too me its almost the perfect device.

The Milestone sounded good, but not good enough compared to the N900. I didnt like the look much, plus im no Motorola fan. To me, Nokia was always biggest name in phones, and personally owning a few, found them reliable and usually have the best technology. Android phones have never appealed to me anyway, cant say why.

I have owned an N96 which is the best 'phone' ive owned, (im thinking of getting another for gps) and an N97 which is the biggest piece of sh*t. (literally, that things bigger than the N900, but a little lighter)

With my N900, I have the rc of pr1.2 firmware and it has made it even better than before (the update)! PSX Emulator which plays tony hawk 4 (and more) almost perfect with a PS3 controller, hooked up to a TV (or use 2 controllers with SNES Emulator or GBA Emulator, etc) plus all the other games and apps.. just see my youtube vids in my signature

To me, the maemo (5) apps have substance, but I have no idea of what android apps are like.. the N900's OS is open also, which makes for great apps. people in the "community" help each other develop, install, bug fix, play, create, get technical support, share experiences and have a laugh (or a troll).

PLUS, oh did I mention.. N900 has 32GB, so + 16GB SD = 48GB of space.. (thereabouts anyway.)

/Rant.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
This is a device for smart people who enjoy openness, multitasking and excellent hardware. That's why. =)

why do you need anyone to convince you? it sounds like you've already made your mind up, do you want us all to panic and try and convince you to stay a maemo user and not use another device because we can't bare to lose an N900 user, do us all a favour and stop wasting your time and ours with pointless posts like this.

If you want better friendlier advice, post in a manner which says, that you would like advice, point out your reservations and reasons for wanting to change/not change, it makes absolutely no odds to me whether you keep the N900 or not, i just hope that everyone finds the right device for them, i'm always happy to help and clarify, but i'm not impressed by pointless drivel like this

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by nax3000 View Post
Convince me otherwise by pointing it's flaws over the N900
Well as I said to others, Motorola is know for not doing well with software upgrades and in this case you want them...

I decided between several phones and decided against android for several good reasons. One is that it claims to be free but isn't. You see what happens here? Apart of some closed drivers the community took over already. I can call sms IM without any closed source nokia app and have a computer in my pocket instead of a phone being able to do some stuff a computer can!

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
I can call sms IM without any closed source nokia app[...]
You do realise that the phone stack and the Conversations and Call UI are closed, right?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by nax3000 View Post
Convince me otherwise by pointing it's flaws over the N900
Since the topic announces you have already made your decision, have fun!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
...and then?

Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Well as I said to others, Motorola is know for not doing well with software upgrades and in this case you want them...

I decided between several phones and decided against android for several good reasons. One is that it claims to be free but isn't. You see what happens here? Apart of some closed drivers the community took over already. I can call sms IM without any closed source nokia app and have a computer in my pocket instead of a phone being able to do some stuff a computer can!
Well, 2.1 Just came out on the Milestone and was available for the droid for months so already this is way better than what Nokia is doing with pr 1.2.

@f2thak
Are you aware that ZodTTD is going to develop a fully working PSX emulator for Android and that it already has fully working emulators of the SNES, GBA, Genesis and more.
________
FETISH PARTIES

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 12:59.