Notices

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I recently upgraded my Ubuntu install and just noticed Empathy's "People Nearby" feature. It is not a particularly new technology (it is the Bonjour a.k.a. Salut protocol), but it is packaged nicely in Ubuntu.

Essentially, it creates a local-network IM that requires no outside server connection. You are able to see and initiate IM conversations with other users on your local network that do not require any connection to outside servers. (It is presumably more secure than other standard IM protocols because the messages do not leave the local network, but nothing is encrypted so it is still visible to anyone on the network.)

If you have the Extra Protocol Plugins for Conversations and Contacts installed, you can connect to this local IM network on the N900 by creating a Salut account. This should also find anyone using the Bonjour protocol on windows or mac.

Not groundbreaking or earthshattering info, I know, but I always like it when my toys work together.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
anyone tried it to see if it works properly?

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Well...I did. Before I posted it. As soon as I heard the "dong" of the N900 connecting to the Salut account, I saw my name show up on the contact list of my IM client on the laptop. Looking in the contacts on the N900, my desktop account shows up as an entry. IM between the two worked as expected. (If anyone cares, I could see the text go by in wireshark as well.)

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
thats excellent. will try it. thank you

Hi,

I wonder if I could get some advice on how to set this up -

Phone: N900
Distro: Fremantle
Firmware: PR1.2

I found and attempted to install the applications:

People Nearby plugin for conversations and contacts
Extra protocol plugins for conversations and contacts (including people nearby)

When I did so, they came up with an 'unable to install' error. However, on checking the IM account list I noticed that 'People nearby' is there (spelt as 'People Nearly') and when I add my jabber details as requested the account appears as 'not signed in' even though I know my jabber details etc are correct (since I have a Facebook chat account already signed in).

I have the Pidgin protocols installed as well - would this cause a problem?

Has anyone got any experience with this type of account they can help me?

Thanks

Tom

Bump for this. Tried it- it somehow got messed up. Maybe along the lines of what @Lake was talking about.
Went to uninstall and it also uninstalled kernel-power for some reason.
Any ideas on the problem?