Active Topics

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
What should maemo.org and the Maemo Community look like in six months? What are the top priorities of the Maemo project? What should the maemo.org staff be concentrating on?

At the Maemo community meeting yesterday, it was agreed that we need to set some bigger, more concrete and measurable goals for Maemo for the coming months. We decided to re-run a one-week brainstorming session, similar to the one in 2008, to set some near-term direction and priorities for the Maemo project.

To run the brainstorm, we are going to gather ideas here in Talk, in a number of threads created for the purpose. The threads will start [Brainstorm 2010], followed by an area of Maemo to discuss, and will each be dedicated to a specific area of the Maemo project.

Update:
Here are links to the individual threads that made up the brainstorm. Please feel free to continue discussions there, or in the relevant wiki pages.

Ideas generated from the brainstorming session will be gathered in the wiki.

Join in, help decide what Maemo will look like six months from now!

Last edited by dneary; 2010-06-28 at 12:26.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
We need to make it clear this is not associated with the Brainstorm tool/process here. This effort is being coordinated in the threads here under Community and on corresponding wiki pages.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Dave, are we talking about Maemo here or MeeGo?

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Dave, are we talking about Maemo here or MeeGo?
Maemo only.

-not Dave

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Thanks, posted mine.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-05-18 at 21:35.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
One big improvement would be for Nokia to communicate in some kind of official capacity.

I think many people here feel a bit abandoned by Nokia.

A couple of examples:.
(1) the long silence of PR 1.2.
We know it is delayed but a little more information would help.

(2) Also reassurances about the relevance of maemo compared with MeeGo.

Even some kind of communication in the weekly newsletter will help or maybe a dedicated thread where Nokia "officials" can post announcements.

I think this reluctance to communicate is hurting the community and beginning to turn some people away from Nokia products.

I think some mechanism for "formal" communication by Nokia is needed. It would feel like the community is more engaged with the company and feel like we actually matter.

Nokia is one of the few manufacturers in Europe that can challenge the USA in the IT sector.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Is this more of a "We'll have to change something, if you want to be part of the change: This is your last chance to be heard"? Or is it a "We don't know if we'll have to change things at all; any suggestions?"?

Apart from one single issue (testing packages) which I'll try to comment upon, I'm very comfortable with the way the community works ATM. - I'm just not sure if I need to put a "Please leave things as they are" into each thread or if not posting at all will be counted as just that (instead of as "Benny doesn't care", which wouldn't be correct).

Does my question make any sense?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
It's "help decide what makes sense, what gets high priority".

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
As much as I like the N900 and Maemo (and with the full knowledge that I bought a little computer and not just a phone), I would like to see the phone be a little easier to use. I sometimes feel like simple things like dialing, accessing the keypad for phone menus, answering, and even speed dialing takes too many keypresses or is buried under too many menus.

I also have a little confusion as to the location of the public directories. When I connect via USB and copy files over, when I copy files to the device via bluetooth, and when I ssh into the device, I seem to go to different (and, apparently, hidden) directories. Those should be more standardized and easier to find.

Also, it is too easy to accidentally turn the thing off from the security keypad...if you hit outside the keypad dialog, it asks you if you want to turn it off. Once a month or so, it gets turned off by bouncing around in the car or my pocket through the right combination of hits.

I am expecting a number of issues (such as the ability to respond to meeting requests) to be resolved in 1.2, and others (such as the lack of indicators for missed calls and messages) have been addressed well by the community. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing more of the basic features and indicators that I have always had on previous phones.

I would also like to see a few more standardized, good-looking, finger-friendly input methods that we could use in apps (presumably Qt stuff). Flickable numeric entry, date entry, and list selections that don't force open a new window would help us write some useable and good looking apps. If fancy inputs and numeric displays were available for me to use in python, but were written in native libraries, we should be able to use them without performance problems. And different apps would work in a more uniform fashion.

I hope that is the kind of thing you are looking for. And don't get me wrong...I think you have done a great job with this gizmo. I just want you to keep making it better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Is this more of a "We'll have to change something, if you want to be part of the change: This is your last chance to be heard"? Or is it a "We don't know if we'll have to change things at all; any suggestions?"?
Neither.

It's the 100 Days: Part Deuce.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
announcement, brainstorm, community, maemo, maemo.org