Reply
Thread Tools
jonnenau's Avatar
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Oulu, Finland
#551
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
...
It was also made a rule that there would be a code freeze on projects until after competition voting. I propose we lift this restriction on those projects not involved with the “Other” thread to allow these developers to continue releasing updates.
...
I am in the "others" category. And you said in a private message during the competition that I can push when the polls are closed. So I have pushed a major updates to my program since the polls closed. I am aware that if we need to make a new poll this will be very unfair if any of us have pushed updates. I have the competition version deb still on my machine so I am willing to push it to somewhere. But pushing it to extras-devel is not acceptable as all my users would suddenly get a update that would take them back to the stone ages I hope removing new account votes works as the second option would be messy for everyone.

Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
...
So, remove the votes from accounts that were created after the competition started. This might very well remove votes from people that actually did compare the applications, but that's always a risk when votes are to be recounted, no matter what method is used.
I agree here. It's not 100% right way and will get rid of some real N900 users that just stopped by and voted. But at the same time maybe the only smart and doable solution.
__________________
DropN900 - the maemo 5 DropBox client
 
andy80's Avatar
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Pistoia, Italy
#552
I think the votes done with account created after June, 20th should be removed from all categories, not only "Other" category.
__________________
Andrea Grandi - Maemo Council member
Maemo profile: http://maemo.org/profile/view/andy80/
website: http://www.andreagrandi.it
LastGo - Last.fm client for Maemo/MeeGo
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy80 For This Useful Post:
fcrochik's Avatar
Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,222 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
#553
I don't have any reason to believe that the same issue happened on the desktop category where I was competing on, or any other category for this matter, but I would suggest that once we have to endure this pain that we should check all the polls to avoid this issue coming back.

Also in my opinion if we end up having to open the polls again I don't think comparing newer versions would be a big issue.... we all have had the same time and we all hope the development of these applications will continue.... To be fair we may want to give everybody some time before starting the polls again so developers can have a chance to clean up their changes and prepare a stable release.
__________________

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases
 
Posts: 1,085 | Thanked: 2,953 times | Joined on Jan 2010
#554
The reason I started this action in the "Other" thread and not any of the others (that's confusing naming) is that, through our own monitoring of voting patterns, accounts logged in on the page, and feedback, we had strong evidence that votes from dummy accounts could have affected final placings. I do not suspect the same in the other threads, which is why i have not brought this issue up in them. I am content that the final places reflected good voting in those.

Now, let's extrapolate this logically from what you are saying andy and .. i think... fcrochik. If you want to put on this restriction of only accounts before July 21st on all these other threads now, and the mods are not able to work with us on this, you will need to rerun the entire competition.
__________________
Follow me on my neglected twitter @kojacker

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun
 
helex's Avatar
Posts: 542 | Thanked: 801 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
#555
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
It was also made a rule that there would be a code freeze on projects until after competition voting. I propose we lift this restriction on those projects not involved with the “Other” thread to allow these developers to continue releasing updates.
Ouh, I'm so sorry. My Application is in the Multimedia section and at the evening after the poll I uploaded a new version with all changes I made during the last week. I thought the feature freeze was only until the respective Vote was closed.

Was I to eager?
__________________
I was a Qt Ambassador!

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.
 
nicolai's Avatar
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,404 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
#556
Hi,

in my opinion, asking someone to vote
for my app, even if he isn't related to maemo
is cheating. Period. (do we really need an explicit rule?)
Did it happen here?
Come on, the voting result is just rediculous.
No other category with so many votes.
No other category, where two apps collected
so many votes in the last days.
Every time qexercise came near to tweego,
tweego got some more votes. Why that? Why did
your users wait with their votes?

But I am against the two options.
First, we can not change the rules afterwards.
It wasn't forbidden to vote for new users,
so we can not exclude them now.
Second, we can not repeat the voting after
this discussion. If one or both apps loose, they can
always say, it is just because everybody think they
cheated.

As sad as it is we have to take this result.

regards
Nicolai
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,085 | Thanked: 2,953 times | Joined on Jan 2010
#557
Originally Posted by helex View Post
Ouh, I'm so sorry. My Application is in the Multimedia section and at the evening after the poll I uploaded a new version with all changes I made during the last week. I thought the feature freeze was only until the respective Vote was closed.

Was I to eager?
Not at all helex Im only replying to a point Ben made earlier, ofcourse you were welcome to update as soon as your voting had finished Just kinda spelling it out in "rule speak" for anyone who thought otherwise
__________________
Follow me on my neglected twitter @kojacker

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun
 

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
fcrochik's Avatar
Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,222 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
#558
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Now, let's extrapolate this logically from what you are saying andy and .. i think... fcrochik. If you want to put on this restriction of only accounts before July 21st on all these other threads now, and the mods are not able to work with us on this, you will need to rerun the entire competition.
I think we should check all the threads and I do hope we will find that we don't need to run the polls again. If any reason is found to assume foul play I think it would better to have to poll again than not trusting the results.

If there isn't a way to check than is a different subject all together.... but in that case I would ask the competitors in each categorie if they feel the need or not and the majority will decide
__________________

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases
 
Posts: 1,085 | Thanked: 2,953 times | Joined on Jan 2010
#559
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
I think we should check all the threads and I do hope we will find that we don't need to run the polls again. If any reason is found to assume foul play I think it would better to have to poll again than not trusting the results.

If there isn't a way to check than is a different subject all together.... but in that case I would ask the competitors in each categorie if they feel the need or not and the majority will decide
fcrochik, when you say "check" can you make clear what exactly you want to check for in the other threads. If it's a check for votes from accounts created after July 21st then Im sure all the threads will have some new voters. We need to be more specific than that.

In the case of the "other" thread, it was not just because of new voters but because what looked like a pattern of voting from new and possibly 'fake' accounts to the extent that it could have affected the final placings.
__________________
Follow me on my neglected twitter @kojacker

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-07-31 at 23:32.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
zehjotkah's Avatar
Posts: 2,368 | Thanked: 3,747 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
#560
Before we rerun the poll (I think that is not a good idea).

I like this idea:
Originally Posted by andy80 View Post
I think the votes done with account created after June, 20th should be removed from all categories, not only "Other" category.
but also:
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
As sad as it is we have to take this result.
but I think rerunning the poll would be wrong.

Please calm down all, it's not the end of the world.
Decisions were made based on feedback we got. If there was no feedback we choose the best way in our opinion (think about the system of donations, no poll were made but everyone is happy).

Now we have to make the best out of it.
It is not easy because someone has decided to get an advantage, without considering the consequences for the other.

Please help us with your (constructive) opinion how to proceed.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:17.