Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
As title says...guys particularly titan please remove kernel from default repository and put it back to extras-devel.
I've been browsing forum for a hour or so and noticed too many people , mostly inexperienced have some serious problems with their devices with modified kernel.

I know we need to blame them for not reading WARNING in the description but as I can see its not effective Hopefully if you put it back at extras devel it will reduce these incidents

What do you think?

Thanks

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Last edited by HellFlyer; 2010-05-22 at 22:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
What brick are you talking about?
I can't see ANY brick in your links...
I can't see ANY related to Titan neither OC in that nosenses...

Originally Posted by rpgAmazon View Post
What brick are you talking about?
I can't see ANY brick in your links...
I can't see ANY related to Titan neither OC in that nosenses...
Ok I made a mistake, they didn't brick but certainly they have issues with kernel

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Italy
I'm the third guy on your list. I disagree. It clearly warns you about the risks. And it's not the kernel that bricked my device (it was running fine, as I mentioned in my post), but my recklessness..

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to giecsar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by giecsar View Post
I'm the third guy on your list. I disagree. It clearly warns you about the risks. And it's not the kernel that bricked my device (it was running fine, as I mentioned in my post), but my recklessness..
Yes, that's why I wrote mostly

The threads that I linked are the ones that I found recently but I'm pretty sure there is more if you search

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
IMO, as long as there is a clear and unmistakable warning, there's no reason to keep something back. If it's stable, it's stable. Extras is unstable-resistant, not user-proof (so to speak).

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
If whoever maintains the package itself, would put one of those "Terms and Conditions," dialogs with a warning, It would deter those who don't know what they're doing.

I don't actually mean put a whole formal ToC, but in the way that OMWeather handle's it's updates. After every update, (or installation,) a dialog comes up and says "Do not forget to reboot," with an "I agree" button that allows you to dismiss the dialog.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Probably a bigger disclaimer such as is suggested is a good idea. Those of us who got into overclocking because of the Overclocking thread saw zillions of warnings, but some people are just picking to install the software without seeing ANY information.

I think that the disclaimer should point to the Wiki Overclocking document, which is essential reading. (I almost think the disclaimer shoudl BE the Overclocking document, as in "read this before you go farther!")

Last edited by geneven; 2010-05-23 at 02:23.

I disagree with moving it back to extras-devel. If people would be more comfortable with a larger warning/ToC, that might be an acceptable compromise. I personally think though that there are already sufficient warnings in anything that is in extras-testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to n61adm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I just helped someone today who hadn't looked at the Overclocking Wiki and found the Overclocking thread too long to cope with.