Hey, there is something i dont understand...

The Nokia N900 has a display resolution of
800 x 480 Pixels
and
16.777.216 Display Colors

The Nokia N8 has a display resolution of
360 x 640 Pixels
and also 16.777.216 Display Colors

I dont understand the difference ? Which device will show more cleare pictures and videos on the display and why? Both have the same Display Color Value but what effect brings the display resolution? What is the relation between Display Color and Display Resolution^^

Can someone explain^^?

Last edited by necoicould; 2010-05-25 at 01:38.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA

The Following User Says Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Display+Resolution
He just asked a simple question , no need to send him to Google...yet

@necoicould The higher the resolution the better... there are more pixels per mm which makes image sharper and cleaner if you need more info then read mmurfin87 suggested wikipedia article

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Well quite honestly I was gonna paste in the wikipedia Display Resolution link which explains it far better than I could.

Then I felt like this was such a simple question that it really shouldn't have been asked so I maliciously did the lmgtfy thing.

Guys, lets keep it simple, in zeroth order there is no difference

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
The difference is that the N900 has a better screen than the N8. The resolution, AFAIK, with the N900 will enable you too see smaller text and have more on a screen as opposed to scrolling around to get a full page view. That means the screen is 'smaller' in the N8. The N8 might have a capacitive screen vs. resistive screen in the N900 but as far as which one is better is a matter of opinion. I can say that the N900 seemed to be pretty accurate and I prefer it(screen) to the Nexus One with a capacitive screen that is barely usuable in sunlight.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
now that you got things explained easily, lets screw things up

neither of those really affect picture quality...

of course bigger dpi is always better (so N900 is superior to N8) but those colour depth specs are purely theoretical values announced by screen manufacturer. when those are measured at every single point of the screen, they are starting to matter.
is the colour same at every part of the screen?
is the backlight even?
what about viewing angle? does it change for example contrast at different parts of the screen?
are the colours properly calbrated? does r,g or b get saturated too early?
what about display chips ability to output the best possible image (dithering for example)?

but OP wont probably even see the difference and N900's screen is probably better quality than N8's in the first place when looking at device price, even when N8's screen is probably year newer.

and resistive vs capacitive shouldn't affect much and the effect is even which makes the difference probably impossible to notice..
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by necoicould View Post
Hey, there is something i dont understand...

The Nokia N900 has a display resolution of
800 x 480 Pixels
and
16.777.216 Display Colors

The Nokia N8 has a display resolution of
360 x 640 Pixels
and also 16.777.216 Display Colors

I dont understand the difference ? Which device will show more cleare pictures and videos on the display and why? Both have the same Display Color Value but what effect brings the display resolution? What is the relation between Display Color and Display Resolution^^

Can someone explain^^?
How could you say that N900 supports 16.7 millior color display and it is mentioned in the nokia websit that it supports only 65k colors ???????

The N8 has quite a low resolution, many other new devices have the 800x4xx, shame really, but I think the screen itself is also a bit smaller... maybe not ideal for browsing.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by guest2008 View Post
How could you say that N900 supports 16.7 millior color display and it is mentioned in the nokia websit that it supports only 65k colors ???????
It's a myth. The software supports 65k colors and the hardware maybe 200k colors which is quite typical for an LCD.
I doubt there are affordable LCDs out there that really support 16M colors (TV sets and computer screens included).