Posts: 23 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Manchester
I had my first N900 "Jaw Drop" moment when I realised that the little dear was offering to stream from my MythTV out of the box..!

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work -- although, it's a heroic effort. Possibly I just need to tweak things a little.

Can someone point me to the right place for documentation, and to ask for help? Is this "Canola"?

Ta.

---
Edit: It's not Canola, which I've just found in the app manager. I'm talking about the vanilla, out of the box media player on the N900. I see a little line on the bottom that names my MythTV server. I can play videos but not TV or music (Which is damned impressive, considering it simply can't have mounted my videos directory. No idea how it does that.)

Last edited by shadowfirebird; 2010-05-25 at 09:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowfirebird For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
MythTV contains a UPnP server, and Nokia Media Player detects that and shows you the content.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Hmm. Then it's as likely to be a problem with MythTV as it is with Maemo. I'll ask there, too.

Can anyone point me to more information on how this works?

I can see my TV programs, but when I try to play them I get "unable to find media file".

Update: It's a known "feature" in the MythTV world that only effects Nokia platforms; other platforms can play TV fine. Damn.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowfirebird For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
First, thanks much for posting the link -- interesting reading since I considering reworking my entire AV setup...

But I am puzzled. The page you pointed to does indeed mention problems with Nokia devices -- but only mentions Symbian devices by name. Am I missing something?

Edit: I do see that Canola is mentioned as having compatibility problems, which would be likely to impact the N900 version. But your description was with the builtin media support. I am still puzzled.
http://www.eff.org.

Last edited by Alan_Peery; 2010-05-25 at 11:41.

You're right, it doesn't mention Maemo by name or the N900, and it's not entirely clear whether this is the reason why I'm not getting a connection.

But, MythTV say that upnp is still a work in progress for them. Reading between the lines, I'm jumping to the conclusion that Nokia and MythTV don't agree on how the upnp standard should be implemented.

If anyone knows for sure?

-----
Edit, for "Nokia", read "whoever wrote the N900 media player". Sorry, long day.

Originally Posted by shadowfirebird View Post
Hmm. Then it's as likely to be a problem with MythTV as it is with Maemo. I'll ask there, too.

Can anyone point me to more information on how this works?

I can see my TV programs, but when I try to play them I get "unable to find media file".
I get that error for recordings, too "unable to find media file" Maybe some config in the backend?

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney
I have revisted this and found I can stream files from MythTV fine. What I have found is I can play anything from the "Videos" storage group that would be able to play on my N900 if it was local media.

I am unable to play Recordings, says "missing codec". I am assuming I couldn't play those same files if they were local anyway.

So I went into the Music share and saw all my music. But I don't have any on my Myth at the moment and thus get "unable to find media" when trying to play. I usually mount on my MythTV server via sshfs when I want music there.

So I sshfs mounted my music and tried and still get "unable to find media" error.
Then found in the "All Music" section path names in the files if I tried to play them and noticed I mounted slightly differently. Remounted but still missing media file error.

I think I might need to do some sort of refresh/update/rescan of my music or/and just copy it to my Myth server as I have planned anyway.

If I find any more success I will update.

Last edited by DaveQB; 2010-06-26 at 05:03. Reason: Always proof read David!

try copying one of your tv files to your n900. Agreed, .nuv files are probably unplayable. But if I've transcdoded them - to edit out adverts, for example - they play fine for me here like that.

So, I think there's a deeper upnp problem.

Originally Posted by shadowfirebird View Post
try copying one of your tv files to your n900. Agreed, .nuv files are probably unplayable. But if I've transcdoded them - to edit out adverts, for example - they play fine for me here like that.

So, I think there's a deeper upnp problem.
NUV files can be directly played using VLC media player on N900