Active Topics

Poll: Is My Nokia useful for you?
Poll Options
Is My Nokia useful for you?

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Now with PR1.2 we have a Setting to subscribe to receive Nokia Tipps and Support SMS messages...

But for what are they useful? Today I received a SMS message that now a new firmware update for my N900 is released!

Damned, that was yesterday! It's a old message. And I have it already on my device. And I don't have to visit the webpage linked in the SMS message. I don't want to flash the firmware with usb when the ota update works so fine. And why they are sending such SPAM messages? The Application manager gives us all a yellow information mark that there is a update.

Should I cancel the subscription after this first annoying message or is it possible that there is something useful comming?

I can see it already: We all get before the end of the month the news that ovi maps has improved the poi feature with a nice link to a colorful webpage and the invitation: UPDATE NOW!
We are all clicking on the Link and 3 Webpages later: "Only for Symbian S60V3/5"

Last edited by Helmuth; 2010-05-27 at 12:09. Reason: OVI

Its good for getting users hopes up by feigning "interaction"

no

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
But for what are they useful? Today I received a SMS message that now a new firmware update for my N900 is released!

Damned, that was yesterday! It's a old message. And I have it already on my device.
To be exact: You wouldn't have received the text message if you hadn't already upgraded. 99.9% of us had never heard of "My Nokia" before PR1.2

So they selectively send an SMS about a new software upgrade to those people only who already upgraded the software.

To answer your question: "My Nokia" is useful. It's useful if you want any more proof that Nokia is absolutely incapable of communicating with its customers.

EDIT: i wonder why they don't just offer a pre-installed RSS feed as they did with previous Maemo versions....

Last edited by benny1967; 2010-05-27 at 12:08.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Should we be worried that the PR 1.2 update sent nokia our phone numbers with out our permission.

I didn't tell nokia I had an N900 and up till now have been receiveng SMSs for my old N97. I now have one regarding my N900.

It doesn't bother me, but they didn't ask.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
well, yes and no. they din't ask, but they informed us how to un-subscribe again.

i find that this is unacceptable, though. (i even wonder if this is legal here in austria... i'd guess it's not.)

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
The Application manager gives us all a yellow information mark that there is a update.
Not necessarily. IIRC If you passed on an upgrade (ignore) you will get no further yellow-mark notifications about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Should we be worried that the PR 1.2 update sent nokia our phone numbers with out our permission.

I didn't tell nokia I had an N900 and up till now have been receiveng SMSs for my old N97. I now have one regarding my N900.

methinks classaction lawsuit

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Not necessarily. IIRC If you passed on an upgrade (ignore) you will get no further yellow-mark notifications about it.
I don't say that it's a bad thing to inform N900 users about updates.

IT's just that those "My Nokia" text messages will (I'm 100% certain about this) not reach those who didn't upgrade. The registration at My Nokia was forced after the PR1.2 upgrade (without a possibility to decline), and I cannot image any N900 user registered there before PR1.2.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Action:

Now with PR1.2 we have a Setting to subscribe to receive Nokia Tipps and Support SMS messages...
Reaction:

Subscription successfully enabled?

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post: